Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How accurate is this

Came across this site and curious on how accurate the information is;
    soldboatprice.com

soldboatprice.com recently sold Hatteras
    site lists 2 recent sales
    53 Classic Motor Yacht asking $166,700 sold $75,000 date sold 5/3/18
    56MY Motor Yacht asking $133,400 sold $65,000 date sold 4/27/18

both sold at about half the asking price, looked at other builders(Viking; Californian) on the site and a lot of the sales are also at drastic reductions. I understand that condition and circumstance has a lot to do with final close price, but if you description sure paints a different picture,

am fairly well versed in the classic car market, but new to the boat market, so the question
    Is this the market?
    Is this information accurate?
    So what is a realistic offer against asking? Half? a third? ????
    Last edited by MAK; 10-07-2018 at 08:18 AM.

Re: How accurate is this

I recently purchased a 2002 75’ Hatteras and very familiar with last ten boats sold of that model (2000 - 2006). None of those sales, all closed within the last year, are in the database. So, based on the data that I know, the site has very little or no value.

It looks like a free site that gives you a fair value for what it costs.

Soldboats is a broker site from yachtworld and is much better but still not 100% accurate
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I was talking to a broker at a boat show yesterday and he had traded in a fifty something foot early 80's DeFever which he said was "in decent shape" whatever that means on a new $400K sail boat. He gave the guy 20K......

Looking at the number of 53's on YW, and how long some have been there I suspect that the market it very bad for sellers.

Let's put it this way, I am buying one in the next few years and I am optimistic that I will be able to find a very decent deal.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

I know the 56 that sold, friend almost bought it, it was a real piece of junk, maybe one of the worst I have seen. Still don’t know how people can let a Hatt get that bad, and if the cosmetics were that bad I can only imagine the condition the engines must have been. On the west coast boats seem to be in better shape and are still bringing pretty good prices. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

John, PM sent.

DAN

I am not up to date on prices, BUT. Widows or health problems create deals that sometimes are real good. Most of what I see out there needs a good makeover. Top of the line boats (unfortunately because of the real estate economy my boat is not} get MUCH higher prices. You get what you pay for. I'm not handy so it would be worth it to me to buy the best boat out there if I can afford it. With all the sub par Hatteras's out there, it drives me crazy that some talented 40's, 50's & 60 year old's don't buy them up.

I still say there is no "thing" I have owned in my life has given me as much satisfaction as my 58' Hatteras Yachtfish.

I HAVE SATISFACTION!!!!!
    Tomrealest@aol.com
    Needs, Wants & Desires
    1978 58 Hatteras Yachtfish
    SEA 21
    1974 46C #313 Hatteras Convertible

I am trying to by the best boat I can afford in the 44 to 53' range, but have reluctant to even go look at boats that have an asking price way out of my comfort zone. I know that what ever I get will require some work and am trying to keep $35,000 to $50,000 I reserve for known and unexpected issues. so my budget still around $100,000.
    So if a $165,000 asking sells for $75,000 and requires no more than $50,000 in mechanical and hull repair I think I'll be ok, but nervous as I am going into unchartered waters.
    Any interior or exterior wood work is a non issue for me, mechanical is

Do I just go ahead and look at everything? don't want to waste anyone's time, including mine.
    Last edited by MAK; 10-07-2018 at 04:29 PM.

Understood, but the more boats you look at, the more you know. Surveys where you are present are also very educational. Essentially, knowledge costs money.

Boats priced at $165k may be over priced if they sell at $75k.

We had a 58YF listed on the site at $599k.

Reduced , reduced , reduced and finally sold if memory serves below $200.

Just a broker not doing his job by setting price expectations. Then we have other that ask and sell at the price listed. That broker did his job.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.