Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

cool Hatteras story

SOUNDINGS, November issue: 63 Hatteras GT which is the fishing boat and tender to a 150 foot expedition yacht. Crossed the Atlantic on its own bottom, in convoy with the bigger boat, and refueled by it as well- Refueled while underway, which is pretty cool. Some nice photos, too.

Re: cool Hatteras story

"Refueled while underway"..... as in while in motion? That's ambitious.....
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Yes. at eight knots, acc to the story.

Not sure why they didn't just stop and refuel- the big boat would hold steady, I would think, and the 63 is probably stabilized.... but I don't know.

Ship to ship refueling is usually done while moving. The vessels run parallel and the refueling hose is run between on a suppor line.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    "Refueled while underway"..... as in while in motion? That's ambitious.....
    Boats are more stable underway than when they're bobbing around out in the ocean.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

I read the story a few weeks ago. Even with gyros or zero speed stabs under way in swells is a lot more stable than stopped
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Evidently, since they could have done it either way. Pretty cool setup, really. I don't know how many mods were done to the 63 GT, it didn't go into a lot of detail. One of the things I noticed is that it doesn't have a bow rail (none do, at this point) So even though he describes having to run up to the transom of the big boat, to refuel, I can't visualize how they did it- they sent a messenger over and then pulled the refueling hose over, I think. I don't think I'd want to be out on the foredeck of the 63 with nothing to catch me if I started to slide off. Any thoughts?

While the trend on most new fishing boats is the clean (kool) look of no railings, I agree with Jim that I
    would not under most circumstances venture out there without them. Safety should always trump looks.

Walt

Can't imagine a boat w/out rails. Even if I could afford a crew and Captain, its got to have them.
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"