Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Keel removal

Keel removal

Looking for info/input on partial keel removal on my 1977 37’Trying to improve the ride in a following sea. Several owners locally have done it but have long gone. Thanks

Re: Keel removal

Know a few people that have cut down their keels on 46's and 42's but it was for keel walking because of greatly increased speed after repower. The 58c was just a bad design with way to big of a keel with the speed the boats ran out of the box. My view is most older Hatteras convertibles following sea issues are due to not having enough horsepower to be in control. If it was me I would increase the rudder size to be able to apply more control, and also add power steering. Way easier than cutting down the keel. Or, go big and repower.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Friend of mine had a 45 Torres Sport Fish with 3208 Cat Turbos. He cut down his Keel and picked up a few knots. Following him in one day into Ponce Inlet, he had a wave off of his stern and started pushing him in the inlet. You know, surfing. Started loosing control, then in about 3 seconds did a full speed 180 degree turn, almost lost the boat against the jetty, and was heading straight for me back out of the inlet. Had to pass him to the south against the bar, scared the **it out of me. Should have seen the look on his face, and my brothers, who was mating for him that day as they passed me heading back out to sea.

Looked to me it almost rolled over.

I asked my brother what happened, he told me they recently cut down the keel and got squirelly at times. Asked him how it handled, he said alot like the old Penn Yan tunnel drives. Said always fighting the wheel.

After that, he ran the boat slow until he sold it.

Unless Chine walking is a problem from Keel Lift, get Big Rudders, or leave the keel alone.

Just my 2 cents.

Tim

Have repowered with 3126 at430 hp ea and doing 21 it’s. Surfing on a quarter following sea for years just ready to make change if $ make since.

I've run a 42 at 28 its and she was starting to keel plane.

Also a 42c at 30 it's got a bit squirrely but not at 21.

Either the 37 is so much different from what I expect or something else is going on.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

If your just looking for improved steerage then changing out to bigger rudders isn't that hard of a project, and not really that costly either.
    You could even test it out with attaching an addition to the current rudder blades, both to the aft side and or bottom..
    Adding power steering will also make a huge difference.
    My guess is cutting the keel might give you some additional speed.
    There's a thread on the board about a 46c that cut the keel, boat's name is Good Grief.
    Btw, Good Grief turned out awesome, been in the yard with them the last few years.
    Here's link to an article.
    https://www.inthebite.com/2014/09/46...-new-from-old/
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns

Leave the keel alone. Bigger rudders will help. I have found in the a following sea to keep the tabs completely off. Learned this lesson the hard way once coming back from the Canyons. Had then all the way down with a small ground swell following in the quarter. Ended up catching a chine and throwing the boat on its side.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    I've run a 42 at 28 its and she was starting to keel plane.

Also a 42c at 30 it's got a bit squirrely but not at 21.

Either the 37 is so much different from what I expect or something else is going on.
    Boatsb,

I know this was an old post, but caught my attention because you mention 28 knots with a 42 Hatteras.

What re-power did you use to achieve increased speed. 'm thinking of re-powering my 42.

Any suggestions would be most helpful.

Thanks.

My advise for all sportfish repowers is to get as much horsepower as you can afford.
    The slower you run them the better they will treat you.
    Of course don't get too much that you could break the boat, but it would be fun trying...........
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns

What about changing the shape of the rudders to a fishtail profile as opposed to increasing the size? I have read that putting a flat plate across the trailing edge and recontouring the rudder to a coke-bottle shape will increase rudder authority. It could be a cheaper intermediate step than oversized rudders.
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht
    1986 model launched in August 1987