Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Using inverter to supplement generator?

Here's an electrical question that's way above my pay grade:
    Can you combine inverter AC output with generstor output to boost available power while off the grid?

Reason I ask is I have a 20kw and a 5kw generator. I'd like to run the 36k BTU AC at night using only the small genny . I've added up the amp draw for all components of the AC and came up with 22 full load amps. Yes, start up amp draw will be higher but I have a work around for that.

So 22 amps at 230v = 5060 watts.

Was wondering if it is even possible to utilize my 2000 watt inverter to provide just the tiny bit extra power I need?

I could just run my 20kw all night but it's much noisier and would be operating many hours at only 25% load.

Thoughts?

Re: Using inverter to supplement generator?

It's a simple function on the victron systems when wired correctly.

We do this often on both 125 volt and 250 volt systems.

230 is a European standard for 50 hz systems. If you have a 230 volt inverter theres an issue to start with.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

The generator kicks out 239/119 volts. The AC nameplate says 230/60,. The inverter is a Xantrex 1800 . I know it produces 115/60 but not sure about 240.

I dont know much about xantrex inverted except that they suck. I have a pile to recycle in my garage again.

If its wired in right it's no problem. Call me tomorrow.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

How would one get these two sources in phase?

And, I'm curious what your workaround for the startup load is.....
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

My work around for the start up would be to have both the 20 & 5 running, then once the AC is going, shut down the 20. The only downside is I'd have to run AC constantly as cycling would exceed 5k capacity.

Ah, yes, that would work.

Not being familiar (enough) with the AC system yet I now surmise there is a system that brings multiple AC sources together and in phase so that you can use both gennies at the same time.

I always wondered if certain sections of the system were dedicated to be fed by one or the other.....
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by Passages View Post
    My work around for the start up would be to have both the 20 & 5 running, then once the AC is going, shut down the 20. The only downside is I'd have to run AC constantly as cycling would exceed 5k capacity.
    And how are you going to phase match those to parallel them? Not that it can't be done, but it's kind of complex for casual use.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Ah, the question is NOT answered......
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

I don’t see how you could parallel an inverter and generator to power the same things depending on your set up you could use the inverter to power fridges, lights etc and the 5kw gen for the AC. Have you tried to run the AC with that generator?

Personally I d rather underload one generator than overload the other one. Fuel burn isn’t going to be much different, it doesn’t take significantly more fuel to generate 5KW from a 5KW gen than a 15 or 20KW.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat