Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: %$&#!! Windlass foot switch meets previous owner's creative wiring

Nice post, Jim - especially the part about being comfortable (if such a thing is possible while working on a boat!). In the past I had several connections fail ibecause I was in such an uncomfortable postion and couldn't see what I was doing. Additionally, and probably even more critically, I was using the cheap boxed crimping set that is usually found in auto parts stores - with junk crimping pliers that aren't worth the plastic box they come in.

A few years ago I bought GOOD ratchet-type crimping pliers, GOOD wire strippers, and GOOD side/cutters. As good tools always do, it made everything far easier and much more secure. A bit over $100 will buy all three of these and it's cheap at twice the price if you do any electrical work yourself.

Re: %$&#!! Windlass foot switch meets previous owner's creative wiring

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal
    But I recall fairly clearly what I encountered under the flybridge when I first got the boat- radios etc wired to wherever they could find a hot with a VOM, no grounds, and lots of wiring just flapping in the breeze. The shore connects were a joke- it really is amazing the boat didn't burn to the waterline.
    I think that's one big reason why everybody is running into such huge insurability problems on boats > 10 yrs. old. That, and storms in the hurricane-prone areas.
    -- Paul