Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Spot Zero Reverse Osmosis System on my boat

The Watermaker will desalinate down to about 200 ppm. The Spot Zero takes desalinated water and brings it down to under 20 ppm. Totally unnecessary in my opinion. The RO filters on the Spot can be much smaller for that high output because it is already starting with desalinated water. You should not be using the spot for seawater. If space in the pump room is of concern, then remove the spot. May have some value if it is in good shape.
    Thanks,

Tony

2008 Cheoy Lee Bravo 78 "Bella Sophia"
    1989 78' Hatteras CPMY #311 "Bella Sophia" (sold)
    2007 Everglades 290cc “Bada Bing” (sold)
    2006 Advanced Outdoors 28cc (sold)
    2003 Melges 24 "Bada Bing" (sold)
    2023 HCB 42 “Bada Bing”

I get the impression that Spot Zero takes dockside water down to almost pure. Our R/O system ran around 250 PPM total dissolved solids when processing water from sea water, not dockside. Dockside water might be 400-500 ppm total dissolved solids. Ocean, or salt water is WAY over that. 10K to whatever. Could be 35,000.
    I would not expect SZ to process salt water to a level of 10 or 30 ppm.
    There are different levels of membranes for RO processing. Salt, Brackesh etc.. The less salt there is in the water, the less aggressive the pumps and membranes. And in those less aggressive environments like dockside sourced input, I would expect much higher product water output rates. Hopefully the waste output at that level does not get you in trouble with the marina. The rejection rate in sea water is quite high. I have no idea what it is like dockside.
    Last edited by Dan Mapes; 01-18-2019 at 07:48 PM.
    Regards
    Dan

Dan and Tony,

I am sorry I just saw these replies. I have bypassed the Spot Zero because I want the chlorine and other chemicles provided by city water. I use the holding tank, not a hose hookup due to possible line breaking and flooding bilge.

I am going to pull the system out, I am sure it has some value, probably going to just give it away.

I want to un-pickle the membranes and bring the water maker back on line, parts are still availalble for it.

When the system is out, I will post, someone might have a use for it.

Thanks for the replies,

Tim

If you unpickle, make sure you run the watermaker at least every 2 weeks, or fresh water flush every 2 weeks.
    Thanks,

Tony

2008 Cheoy Lee Bravo 78 "Bella Sophia"
    1989 78' Hatteras CPMY #311 "Bella Sophia" (sold)
    2007 Everglades 290cc “Bada Bing” (sold)
    2006 Advanced Outdoors 28cc (sold)
    2003 Melges 24 "Bada Bing" (sold)
    2023 HCB 42 “Bada Bing”