Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Adding parts and pieces.....

I see Hatts with cockpits added after the fact. Some state it was done with Hatteras' engineering cooperation. Some don't.

Is this a good idea? Seems to me the props are now no longer in the ideal position. Does it matter a lot?

And, are there still people that know how to do this properly? within a few thou, what are we talking on a 15'10"...... 20K? 50K?

Reason I ask is that there are boats for sale that had this done we may be interested in, but also that the ideal layout we are liking exists, except for the cockpit (58MY, salon galley)....

Don't need much, 4 feet is enough. Just enough for the less agile to get down stairs and not a ladder, and on to the platform and in and out of the dingy. No we don't like the YF which eats up master cabin space, and does not have that gorgeous big open back deck.

Thanks.

On edit, I found a two year old thread discussing this subject... I think it answers my questions. I would delete this one, but it doesn't seem to be an option.
    Last edited by oscarvan; 09-27-2018 at 12:41 AM.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Re: Adding parts and pieces.....

We talked to a local yard about adding a cockpit and to do it correctly was going to cost over $100,000 so we had a 4 foot swim platform built with stainless steel staple rails on the back for about $6000.00, not as good as a cockpit but is much better than the little standard swim platform. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Think you're looking at least $100k which could be very low. Best bet would be to hope the yards that did most of the extensions still have their molds, like Cable Marine, not sure what would have happened to Hatteras of Ft Lauderdale's stuff. Both yards were the main players back when this was big.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

OK, it sounds like this is not going to happen. A large(r) swim platform it is probably going to be. Hard to get a comfortable stair down there without it being fugly. I've seen some stainless ones that do a 90º on the way up, I guess you'd call them circular but that looks goofy in my eyes.

Maybe something more substantial that goes up top next to the dinghy underway.... Or something that attaches to the side down to the water.....

OK.... we'll worry about that later.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Check this stair out.
    Attached Images
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.