Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

So You Think You Like Diesels

So the vast majority of our Hatts have Diesel mains. In my case, the good ole in-line 6-71N's, non-turbos. I have been around them (6-71's), since the early 1960's, when I shipped out as deckhand on a 118' yacht on the Great Lakes; she had 4 6-71 engines, two each side, one fore, one aft. Dem' is screamin' Jimmies (GM's back then). When the engine room door was closed, but the porthole in it was open, we are talking major sucking wind, when we were at cruise speed. Finally, the reputation of the GM 6-71N's, is that they are long lived.

So I came across a 1995 Mercedes E300D, which is a 3.0L natural, non-turbo, engine model OM606, also a straight six; 134 romping HP. She had 254k Miles, so she has been over the road! But someone treated her very well. She came from Alexandria, VA, home to some of the highest income zip codes, as they say, and the excellent MB American Service Center. She has Zero rust, very good original paint, interior near perfect. There was an official MB body dust cover in the trunk, so she was covered when not in use. Runs like the proverbial top!

So I bought her! So far, so good. VG oil pressure, no blow by, doesn't smoke at start up or under power. Close to 30#'s at hot idle (700rpm), at/above 45# above 1,000 rpm, as all proper MB's oil pressures are, since the oil gauge pegs at 3 atmospheric bars, i.e. 45#'s.

Now we will see if the reputation of this engine to run up ridiculous miles holds true.

Maybe I will post photos, although this is a boat site, since this is a for fun post.
    Last edited by spartonboat1; 09-27-2018 at 11:16 PM.
    50 Years on the Great Lakes...

Re: So You Think You Like Diesels

I grew up with 200 and 220 taxi's in Amsterdam..... I've seen 500, 750K.... Often the body rotted out and the engine was saved.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Bought my 300D new in 1978 (Ca. License plate 78benz) drove it for 350,000 miles with nothing but routine maintenance. It was a non turbo 5 cylinder motor that was built proof. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

I had a 1985 380se sedan for some time, loved that car, complete with horse hair seat cushion filling - that Mercedes smell! At time I was looking at 300 model diesel, but local diesel mechanic told me they weren't true diesel blocks, used same aluminum blocks as gas engine, and recommended against it so I wound up with the gasser 380. Wasn't terribly impressed with acceleration of the diesel I test drove at time, but these were old used ones I was test driving shortly after I got out of college some 25 years ago.

The engine you have is the later one with an alloy block; they are good engines, but not as durable as the OM 617 five-cylinder ones which would run basically forever. If you keep the maintenance up and use OEM filters (Mann or Mahle) it should run a long time. The Alexandria MB shop is pretty good. They ought to be for what they charge. Have fun with it, they are nice old bangers. Not fast, but will run well for a long time.

That 300D I had had a really low first gear that you activated by stomping down on the gas pedal to the floor. You could climb almost anything in that gear. My driveway at the time was very steep and I needed it to get up. We always said we were glad it never snowed where we lived or we would never get up that drive in the snow. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Diesel is safer than gasoline. For one reason or another, the fear of a gasoline explosion (which happens very rarely, but happened several times thirty years ago in a rather spectacular form) continues to exist. The facts say that the gasoline engine is completely safe and you are much more likely to die in a plane crash than in burning gasoline. I agree that gasoline engines are a danger in terms of carbon monoxide, but it mainly comes from gasoline-electric generators.

Quote Originally Posted by JustMike View Post
    Diesel is safer than gasoline. For one reason or another, the fear of a gasoline explosion (which happens very rarely, but happened several times thirty years ago in a rather spectacular form) continues to exist. The facts say that the gasoline engine is completely safe and you are much more likely to die in a plane crash than in burning gasoline. I agree that gasoline engines are a danger in terms of carbon monoxide, but it mainly comes from gasoline-electric generators.
    Mothersday......199something.... Friends of ours in their 38-ish Searay. Tied many deep at Shooters on the Cuyahoga, Cleveland. Mom, dad, the 4 year old, Grandma and Grandpa. Someone hit the starter on the generator..... The baby survived but was without family the next second.

Boats do not vent gases heavier than air. Things leak. I haven't operated a (newer) gasser so I am assuming that there are now sniffers that disable EVERYTHING and that no one will install anything that's not marine grade EVER down there and that nothing will ever spark at the same time that something leaked.

Yes the odds are small.

No gas plumbing on my boat. A few cans for the dink in a vented compartment. That's it.

And, I'll take my odds on the airplane. After all, I'm driving.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

I wonder if EFI gasoline engines are safer than the older ones with carburetors? Just asking- I've no idea. I will say that I feel safer on a diesel boat than a gas boat. Diesel is less volatile and seems less risky than gasoline.

Had an '82 300D Turbo was strong. Replaced it with an '84 300D Turbo which I am disappointed in because it is not as strong as the 82. Runs like a top and will probably out live me.
    Tomrealest@aol.com
    Needs, Wants & Desires
    1978 58 Hatteras Yachtfish
    SEA 21
    1974 46C #313 Hatteras Convertible