Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: The Journey North With Seven and Scarlett

Be careful Ron, if you don’t sell it to Rusty, we might have to steal it from you for him. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

PM sent Ron.

DAN

I'm in! Ron and I had been talking about it but had a communication breakdown.

Finally got an email through and I'll be joining in the fun running up the coast.

About a year ago I helped bring a 64' sailboat up the coast from Oxnard/Ventura/Channel Islands which is the departure point, and just a few weeks back brought a friends 52' Californian down from Stockton which is the destination.

Rusty, I can't believe it's been two years since Dead Fish. Let's update the photo on this trip!

https://www.samsmarine.com/forums/sh...se-for-a-drink

DAN

We survived the trip. Here in Calif. that trip can be one of the worst trips any where, with very strong northwet winds the normal. We were blessed with southerly winds from 9 to 20 knots, surfing up the coast which happens maybe 10 times a year at the most. 42 hours from dock to dock, Ron’s boat ran perfectly and was very comfortable. Thanks for the trip guys. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Here are a few shots of the crew. #1 Owner Ron (Wet Ever) #2 John (Scarlett) #3 Dan (Reposado)
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

After a rain shower in the Monterey Bay we were privileged to view a full rainbow
    Attached Images
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

A rainbow in California. Like its unexpected
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Leaving Ventura

Leaving the harbor in Ventura with (L to R) Rusty, Ron, and John.

Ron is at the helm of his beautiful 63 Wet Ever and Rusty and John are wearing shirts emblazoned with images of Mahalo V which is John's 53 in San Diego.
    Attached Images

Sunset Point Conception

The intrepid crew enjoys a California sunset while driving westward toward Point Conception.

This is often the roughest part of any northward trip (uphill) because this is where the Alaska Current comes meets the protected waters in Southern California.

We lucked out with 4' swells on about 12 second intervals. Typically one wants to get past the bad region just pre-dawn to minimize weather but we got antsy and just took off--this is why evening departure.

Later in the year like mid-November onwards it's not unusual to get beating with oncoming 8-10' on 6-8 seconds or much worse. Lots of stories of 50+ boats getting hammered face-on for a day or two and making zero headway and just coming back to harbor.

But lucky Rusty is at the helm with Ron overseeing on placid seas, and John and I are "supervising" from aft couches.

(Sorry for and blurred and miss-exposed images. I am just uploading big originals since some of the modified smaller ones are getting incorrectly cached.)
    Attached Images

Cruising around San Luis Obispo

I am at the helm and the others are relaxing in the salon while we just surf the nice swell northward about 3-6 nm offshore..

L to R: John, Ron, Rusty (no, he is toasting the HOF forum with a non-alcoholic beverage!)

Tough life!
    Attached Images