Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: DC DC Converter

Re: DC DC Converter

My own experience is that if you are somehow drawing 600 watts at 12 volts of power along the thick cable from the Newmar power converter to the lower helm, then this cable will get very warm with 50 amps traveling along it.

To resolve we installed a Victron battery isolator after the Newmar converter (which had the effect of turning the Newmar converter into a battery charger) and a 12 volt battery up at the helm. Previously this 12 volt battery had been in the engine rorom. Moving the 12 volt battery to near the lower helm had the effect of reducing the current between the engine room and the lower helm.

The Newmar converter has a maximum output of 30 amps before it's circuit breaker will trip. However our fridge via an inverrter can draw 65 amps at 12 volts when it cycles.

This fridge cycling heats the 30' cable between the engine room and lower helm. The battery at the lower helm acts as a buffer and thus does not overload the long cable. Nor does it now trip the Newmar converter's crcuit breaker. The inverter connects to this 12 volt battery.

The above was Newmar's solution to solving an issue for us in Australia where we have a mix of 110 volt and 220 volt appliances on board. This setup has worked well for 2.5 years.

We also replaced the rotten old Centry battery cooker with a new age Analytic Systems charger. Nice product and great company to deal with. Anything 32 volts is may be custom made and a couple of weeks factory time.

We have also installed some of the unregulated 36 to 12 volts and 36 volts to 24 volts Alibaba type buck converters. They have performed all tasks flawlessly over 2.5 years so far from toilets, blowers, to power supply for the stabiliser's brains.
    Last edited by scottinsydney; 09-26-2018 at 05:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    You can run 2 in parallel with a few minutes of adjustment. The best part of these is the output is not effected by the input.
    Do you want to send me a pm with price?
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee

I have purchased Analytic products from these guys:

https://www.wmjmarine.com/electrical...onverters.html
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Or get isolated converters and move into the 21st century.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.