Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: fuel spill

fuel spill

Any advice on how to avoid fuel spills through the tank air vents when filling and fuel gauges not working ???
    My 53 ft HAT ED has two air vents per tank Thanks

Re: fuel spill

Quote Originally Posted by LARRY VALENTINE View Post
    Any advice on how to avoid fuel spills through the tank air vents when filling and fuel gauges not working ???My 53 ft HAT ED has two air vents per tank Thanks
    How’s your hearing? You gotta listen and stop pumping when the sound changes.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Yup. Listen for the gurgling. It usually happens just as a loud boat passes you as you fuel up.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

If you’re not sure, practice filling your fresh water tank without overflowing. It won’t be as loud so good training.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Fix your gauges.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    Fix your gauges.

Now that's just crazy talk.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

Why not install the Parker LG100 Fuel/Air Separators in the vent lines? I did this on my gasoline powered Chris-Craft as the vents were right above the name on the transom so overflows would damage the lettering beyond any issues with spill. They work as advertised and are relatively inexpensive and easy to install if you have access to the vent run from the tank to vent fitting.
    Attached Images
    Warren
    1973 Chris-Craft 47 Commander
    1994 Sea Ray Laguna 16SC
    (wannabe Hatteras owner)

Yep, also installed the Racor/Parker LG100's in the vent lines for all 3 tanks. Great addition, relatively easy install too.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Consider not filling to the point your even close. If you do a bit of boating, chances are you know within 50 gallons or so whats left in the tanks. Listening to the sound of air coming out the vent goes without saying.
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"

I installed the Racor fuel air separators in the early '90s. The work great for eliminating spitting fuel from the vents, but when their internal float valve closes the air being displaced by incoming fuel can only exit up the fill pipe. If you don't shutoff the nozzle as soon as the sound changes you get a geyser of fuel belching from the fill pipe.

Do to old age and noisy boats going by at the wrong moment, I pulled the diaphragm assembly off of a cheap mechanic's stethoscope. I put the stethoscope tube in the fuel fill pipe beside the nozzle. It's no problem at all to hear the change in the sound.

I don't know what kind of gauges your Hatteras has, but mine are no where accurate enough to use for filling the tanks.