Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: engine shutdown

engine shutdown

My port engine shut down after it overheated. I checked the impeller and it looked okay.
    Next I'll check to be sure the heat exchanger tubes are clear and then the water pump. Once I find the
    problem and try to restart the engine is there a mechanical reset that I need to check? Engine is an 8V-53 natural.
    Family Tides - 1969 41' Twin Cabin
    Mema - 1984 17' Boston Whaler Montauk
    High Bar Harbor Yacht Club
    Barnegat Light NJ

Re: engine shutdown

did the air door close?

That the only shutdown other than the rack I know of.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I'm not familiar with the 8v-53 natural, but I presume it has a blower like my 6v92. Presuming you do, check to be sure it's turning. I had the splined drive shaft fail on mine this summer. No blower = no air = no start.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

I saw that post Bob. What happened there? Did it snap? Metal fatigue? I remember thinking that was crazy!

The splines got worn down so it was slipping. A week before, I lost a fuel injector. When it failed, it seized up violently enough that it broke both the rocker arm and the push rod that drive it. I suspect that the jolt associated with that failure may have somehow impacted the splines on the shaft.

Interesting side story... about 40 years ago I was on a bus heading home from a ski weekend in New Hampshire and the bus broke down halfway home. I remember the driver mentioning that the "dog bone" had failed. I didn't hear that phrase again until this happened, and one of the DD guys I was talking to told me to check the "dog bone". I guess that is slang for the splined shaft, as it does look a bit like a bone.
    Last edited by Bob Bradley; 09-24-2018 at 08:05 PM.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

The limeys would call it a quill shaft. Tomato tomahto.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375