Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Fuel burn all over the place

You can’t feel the vents on the 53s unless docked on that side. They are indeed on small side

On their 80/84 MYs, lazzara vented the single 2000 gallon fiberglass keel tank with not 1, not 2 but FOUR vents. It will take up to 50 gal a minute without spitting.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Dick did say he would look to see if he could get some of the dipsticks for me.

My plugs I don't think have been out in 40 yrs and I am going to spray WD40 on them to try soak them for a few days before having another go at them. I am fly to Jamaica tomorrow and hopefully when I get back it would have helped.

I think my problem is possibly a combination of under filling and not factoring in generator usage. I got to figure that out. I did download the manuals, but don't recall seeing fuel burn rates.

So with that being said what should the average range be for the 53 MY with the 550 gallon tanks.
    Last edited by Shaunc; 09-22-2018 at 04:35 PM.

Once you get a precise way To know what you have in the tank, and assuming smooth water, figure 475 USCG usable so... if 3 days of genset that leaves 400 USCG for the mains or close to 400nm

Keep in mind that bow up, fuel will tend to shift aft and you will have less usable fuel in the aft tank with the pick ups forward
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

On my last commercial fish boat, built to Transport Canada and American Bureau of Shipping standards for a large fishing vessel, all the fuel tank vents were larger in diameter than the fill pipe diameter. Seems just the opposite for recreational boats. Recipe for lots of burping and fuel spillage during fillup unless you go very slowly. YMMV.

Awesome, thanks Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by nightsky View Post
    On my last commercial fish boat, built to Transport Canada and American Bureau of Shipping standards for a large fishing vessel, all the fuel tank vents were larger in diameter than the fill pipe diameter. Seems just the opposite for recreational boats. Recipe for lots of burping and fuel spillage during fillup unless you go very slowly. YMMV.
    Commercial standards are different. Remember they use high speed pumps to fuel.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.