Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Re: New to Forum - advice

Quote Originally Posted by rob71 View Post
    X2 on the no gas boats. Maintainace and fuel alone makes them a no go for me
    No ethanol fuel here is a $1 plus more a gallon than diesel. Coupled with the lower efficiency.
    Then factor in the manifold riser replacements (in saltwater).
    Lastly the depreciation of those boats can go to $0 diesel powered will always have resale.
    Capt. Rob
    Please expand on your claim that maintenance on a gas boat will be higher than that of a diesel. My experience has been just the opposite.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

there was a c in there.

now tell the truth. Gas has to be bad for boats.

Or is it ethanol thats bad. at least for fiberglass tanks.

Boats with metal tanks do not have the same issues.

But I dont know anything cause I gots deesels
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Hey Randy,
    First off, from your posts on the forum I believe you are very knowledgeable and keep up with your maintainace.
    Hence the reliabilityof yours.
    My diesel experiences have been only 4 strokes so not Detroits.
    Gas engines have so many more parts to begin with ignition system, and other electronic modules for electric fuel pumps, throttle body injection or even carbs and of course the manifolds and riser replacements.
    Possibly different experiences here in the hotter saltwater environment.
    I never saw a 40 or fifty year old boat with metal fuel tanks that have not been replaced as opposed to the fiberglass Hatteras with diesel.
    😎

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    there was a c in there.

now tell the truth. Gas has to be bad for boats.

Or is it ethanol thats bad. at least for fiberglass tanks.

Boats with metal tanks do not have the same issues.

But I dont know anything cause I gots deesels
    First, the OP hasn't settled on a Hatteras, so the fiberglass tank/ethanol concern isn't there... yet. I have seen non-ethanol fuel everywhere I go, so even that isn't an issue... yet.

Has anybody mentioned that diesel boats stink... as in smell bad?

As for my contributions to this thread, you brought me into this, and it would have been rude not to reply as the token gasser guy. As for two stroke diesel conversation, don't make me wake up Sparky.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

David Papsco has an interesting article on gas vs diesel. Based on YOUR needs, either can be best. Exception on larger boats w/diesel only.

1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Anyway you look at it, a boat is a huge investment. Depending on how much cruising you plan to do, fuel will be a minimal ownership cost long term. Maintenance, repairs, dockage and insurance are what eats you alive. That's without even considering the liquor bill! The liquor bill spikes in any month you have a repair bill!

Once you find the boat model that's most comfortable for you, the fuel becomes less important. If the nicest available boat happens to have gas power, buy that one. It's more about value than price. I once took a ride on an old 47' Chris Craft Commander with gas power that hit 22 knots wide open. It was a 14 knot boat with GM853s. You want to know what's the second most important feature? An adequate size washer and dryer on board.

Quote Originally Posted by pizzazsdaddy View Post
    Anyway you look at it, a boat is a huge investment. Depending on how much cruising you plan to do, fuel will be a minimal ownership cost long term. Maintenance, repairs, dockage and insurance are what eats you alive. That's without even considering the liquor bill! The liquor bill spikes in any month you have a repair bill!

Once you find the boat model that's most comfortable for you, the fuel becomes less important. If the nicest available boat happens to have gas power, buy that one. It's more about value than price. I once took a ride on an old 47' Chris Craft Commander with gas power that hit 22 knots wide open. It was a 14 knot boat with GM853s. You want to know what's the second most important feature? An adequate size washer and dryer on board.
    Don’t forget what the wife likes.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    Don’t forget what the wife likes.
    He did not forget. (The adequate sized washer and dryer).

Actually, layout wise wife and I like the same thing. She doesn't care about engines or speed. As long as it "goes" and we're not stuck somewhere with me in the engine room getting dirty and cursing a lot she's happy.
    Last edited by oscarvan; 09-30-2018 at 10:31 PM.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Make sure my wife likes it - OMG, if not its not going to happen, been married 40+ - not looking to become single again, besides Id marry her all over again.' BUT!
    I know my limitations