Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: New to Forum - advice

Get a broker or a therapist.

Your overthinking this.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post

Your overthinking this.
    Or just find a friend with a boat. So much easier and cheaper. 😂
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I would never own a gas boat. No matter how careful you are, no matter how well maintained the boat is, no matter if you have multiple fume sensors... diesel just doesn’t explode.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Your overthinking this.
    Man has a way with words..... But he has a point.

There's waaaay too many variables to plan a trip From the Ches to Key West to that detail.... Distance depends on inside/outside. Sometimes one is the better choice, sometimes the other is. There's this thing called weather.....Usually you end up with a combination. And in varying conditions you can do varying speeds. You may want to stop for fuel/supplies.

So my (and most people's) "plan" for this is...... At cruising/hull speed, two weeks, and bring $5000. There should be time and money left over.

More time if you're sight seeing. Less time if you're in a hurry and pushing hard.

The questions you ask indicate there's a lot of learning to do. You're getting ahead of yourself.

And now there was another experienced mariner saying "No effing gas on the boat!"
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

The explosive difference in the fuels aside, do the math based on the same speeds. Half a knot makes a difference over 2200 miles.
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"

Buy a boat with the widest beam you can find. Somehow, at least me me, a wider beam is much more noticeable than a boat a few feet longer. I had a 56 Hat with an 18'2" beam. Loved it.

Freeeeeeeebird has a gas 41c and keeps it in pristine operational shape. He is the guy to ask about gassers.

The poster has not run his diesel powered boat for 10 years because it was not mechanically sound. I'm sure gassers kept his way would be dangerous.

I see outboards with 600 gallons of more transiting the inlet daily. I see gas powered cruisers and convertibles running all the time. The last few fires in my area were diesels with turbo issues.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Correction 41 TC.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

X2 on the no gas boats. Maintainace and fuel alone makes them a no go for me
    No ethanol fuel here is a $1 plus more a gallon than diesel. Coupled with the lower efficiency.
    Then factor in the manifold riser replacements (in saltwater).
    Lastly the depreciation of those boats can go to $0 diesel powered will always have resale.
    Capt. Rob

Correction 41 TC.
    Correction, 41DC.

Gas powered boats are as dangerous as YOU make them.

Yes, you'll get a little better fuel economy with a diesel, but it will come at a price. It would be interesting to see what the actual out of pocket expenses were for owners of identical boats, gas vs diesel, over a ten year or so period with the same amount of use. Find yourself in need of a rebuild, or even a major repair, then talk to me about saving money on fuel as the typical pleasure boater.

Sure, once you go above the mid-40' range, diesel is the only way to go. I never thought I would be happy with the performance of a gasser in a 40+ footer (having operated several) but my old Hatt proved me wrong. When those old gassers finally croak, I can pop in a new set for a fraction of what it would cost to rebuild diesels.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93