Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Boat Name

Has anyone used the Easy-Off method of removing a painted on boat name from a Hatteras? I was just making sure, since Hatterases are painted over the gel coat.

Re: Remove Boat Name

This has been asked before. I have used Easy Off with great success. Once on the stern of a small Hatteras, and once Huge letters down both sides of a center console. After removal, and a good washing, I buffed out with a good cleaner wax. Never could see any hint of the letters. Had the both boats for over 20 years.

I know others will chime in.

Have a great week,
    Tim

We just did this on a friends transom. He took lacquer thinner and dipped his finger into it on a rag and rubbed it up and down until the names started to disappear. Please note that the paint was only three weeks old and was probably softer than yours. Please note the lacquer thinner did not do any damage to the film underneath.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

And I suppose you'll be bringing bananas on board too.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

I removed my painted letters with Easy-off last year and it worked well. You will need to compound the transom once the letters are removed (otherwise you see the dull shadow of the old letters). There are lots of threads and sources about this.

Thanks everyone. I'll do before and after pictures.

If your renaming don't forget the ceremony unless you want to have a cursed boat

Quote Originally Posted by MadHatter53 View Post
    If your renaming don't forget the ceremony unless you want to have a cursed boat
    Great point.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bradley View Post
    And I suppose you'll be bringing bananas on board too.
    Was your comment meant for me? 🍌 bananas?
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Bananas are even worse luck than changing the boat name. The only ceremony that corrects them is the one where they get thrown overboard.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau