Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
  1. Re: After the hurricane thoughts....

Not all of us can be as confident as Pascal about the storm's path. I was here in Islamorada as Irma approached. Initially, my thought was to run to the west coast. Then as the storm grew and the path began to show a westward move, I thought about running up the east coast. By Tuesday, the storm was so big, and the cone still large enough to encompass all of south Florida, we decided to hunker down, and leave. Evacuation for residents, like us, became mandatory on Wednesday. We left on Thursday as the predicted path showed a possible direct hit. We were lucky to survive with no damage except some rub rail rash due to the worst effects of the storm hitting the ocean side of Plantation Key. So staying put worked for us.

Similarly, in '16, we were coming down the east coast as Matthew threatened south Florida. We decided to hold up in New Smyrna Beach to wait out the storm. But then the predicted path changed to have Matthew move up the coast with landfall predicted anywhere from Cape Canaveral to Jacksonville, or even further into Georgia and South Carolina. As would happen with Irma, nowhere to run with any certainty. We evacuated just ahead of the storm glancing off the coast at Daytona and thankfully suffered only minor damage.

The lesson, at least for me, is that I should have the boat [we're live-aboards] ready to run if the forecast is solid enough, and there is a place more secure for me to get to within time. But eventhough the boat is my home, I'll not take the risk that the storm won't confound the weatherman if I can't be damned sure that going is safer than leaving.
    Bill
    Brickell - Miami, Fl
    Cape Elizabeth, Maine

Re: After the hurricane thoughts....

Good thoughts from Pascal and Bill, et al.

Florence was the third year in a row I've singlehanded Aslan to safe harbor. My wife looks after the horses and farm, upstate. Each year, the trip has gotten a little more stressful as I age. That is somewhat offset by the repetitious nature of the trip. So the potentials are prioritized, and we've worked out the balancing act. But I could use a copilot.

Aslan is always on go during the season. I work hard over the winter to make it so and limit planned work to a couple of down days during the season. When it's time to go, I just stock perishables and go. Can't even describe the condition and preparedness of the majority of the boats at my marina. There's a lot of swagger up until the day before one hits.

And having a place to go is essential. Obviously, there is no 100% safe harbor. So, all I can do is shorten the odds as much as I can. Where I have holed-up (Windmill Harbor) will take a strong Cat 1 at high tide. I know this because I was onboard when Matthew hit us. While I safely rode out Matthew, marinas around me were heavily damaged or destroyed. Harbor Town, for example, took almost a year to get back up and running full speed.

IMG_7301.jpg
    The marina is the blue dot, and it's (and me) on the NE edge of Matthew's eye.

IMG_7346.jpg
    Harbor Town after Matthew.

Irma had less wind, but more surge. We took a record (Savannah) 12-1/2', and I think the marina could take possibly take up to 14.

IMG_8449.jpg
    That's 12' of surge from Irma. Looks like I've got at least two more feet on the outboard piles. The lock that mitigated the surge was overtopped by about 2' when this picture was taken.

I guess it just comes down to the Eastwood Principle. "But being this is a 44 Magnum (hurricane), the most powerful handgun (force of nature) in the world and would blow your head (and boat) clean off, you've gotta ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk?"
    Last edited by racclarkson@gmail.com; 09-17-2018 at 10:29 AM.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

When someone askes why we have a 52’ hatteras on Lake Erie, you just have to reference these conversations and it looks like an even better idea. Trying to think of the last time we had to abandon our marina because of a storm.

You abandon the marina every year about the end of this month. Wait for it to freeze over and the thaw in the spring.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Mather View Post
    When someone askes why we have a 52’ hatteras on Lake Erie, you just have to reference these conversations and it looks like an even better idea. Trying to think of the last time we had to abandon our marina because of a storm.
    But when you re a day worth of running from this... who cares about an occasional storm!
    Attached Images
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    But when you re a day worth of running from this... who cares about an occasional storm!
    Can't wait to be able to boat here.. Absolutely gorgeous. I'll never see that on Lake Mich.