Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

After the hurricane thoughts....

Getting closer to retirement, and Hattie ownership. reading a lot, thinking a lot. Running my line of thinking by you all....

If I can do 12-14 knots and have a few days warning I can get 300-500 miles out of the way of a hurricane.... Better than any amount of lines, floating, fixed or otherwise dock, hauling (if there's a lift available) or any secret hurricane hole....

How many of you have a plan to move the boat out of the way if necessary?
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Re: After the hurricane thoughts....

Run, Forest, Run
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

.more like walk forest walk
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Sounds expensive to move your boat like that. A haulout would cost you less and be easier to do.

I know people who go that route. I would be nervous about another one coming behind. Seems like alot of times they come in sets. I remember Katrina hit the East side of our state and wasn't just a couple weeks later Rita hit the other side.

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    Sounds expensive to move your boat like that. A haulout would cost you less and be easier to do.
    Jim I have a question concerning the haul out. We dont do that where I am from. Most people run "up da bayou" out of the surge. The ones I saw on the web cam link posted here earlier last week appeared to be on blocks with the keel being maybe 3' off the ground. What happens when you get a 10-20 ft surge. It seems to me they would float off the blocks and bang around. I guess if the surge is only a few feet it would be ok but we have seen 20' surges before.

Brian,

You have a valid concern.... About 6 years ago Super Storm "Sandy" hit NJ and some parts of the state
    got 13 to 14 ft of surge and lifted many boats and carried them away to destruction. Quite a few of my
    friends lost their boats because of that. Most others that were well secured in their slips survived except
    for some that were on floating docks and the entire dock system floated away. My club marina got over
    13 ft of surge and survived by only inches from all of our docks floating away. We did not lose a single
    boat and since we were well prepared our boats got very little damage. My 1982 48 Hatteras MY looked
    like it was a bug caught in a giant "spider web but even then I snapped a couple of 3/4" lines. They
    actually melted from the severe pulling and contraction.

There are many stories of storm preparation experience but all you can hope for it do the best you can
    and trust that your boat will survive

Walt

Moved Aslan 80 miles to lock controlled marina. About $1,700 (420 gallons, groceries and $300 dockage). I ran hard by choice. Could have cut fuel by 2/3 running slow. I think the 3-500 mile example is unlikey. You just don’t have a good idea of where a storm will land until it closes in. Usually a smaller move will get you out of harm’s way, at least around here.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Every storm is different and some location may make it difficult to run. For instance a storm coming along the coast will make it hard to run anywhere. Luckily these are rare and in most cases you can move just 100/150 miles and be safe.

In many places, hauling out isnt an option. First as others have mentioned thousands of boats have been damaged or destroyed by storm surge and toppled off their stands. Second, in mamy places there arent enough yards. Here in miami, if you want to haul out for a storm it will cost you $120 a foot payable at the start of the hurricane seaon.

At two to three days before landfall, you usually have a reasonable idea of where landfall will be. In case of florence, ever since monday the bullseye was on Wrightsville beach. Tuesday, the forecast shifted a little to the south but quickly moved back.

Last year for irma, On tuesday it looked like the storm was going to hit south east florida and i started making plans to move the boat i run to the west coast (Mine was a sitting duck awaiting the repower). On wednesday, it became clear the NHC forecast was starting to shift west. By 11am advisory on thrusday, it was clear that the storm was going to run up the west coast and i decided to go east to the bahamas. Left thrusday night and got to eleuthera friday afternoon running 20kts. With a slower boat, i would have left earlier on thursday and it would have worked too. The storm hit FL late saturday and into sunday... never got more than 25kts in eleuthera

The other problem with that plan is that for many folks taking care of a home, a business etc... places the boat lower on the list of priority so leaving town may not be an option but if you can leave, it is ofetn th best option.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I know of one family that minimizes risk well. They keep their boat in Wrightsville Beach, and leave for the Chesapeake by July 1, and don't return until mid October, based on what is still active. After years of doing this they have boating friends, presumably, in both places.
    I know their stress level must be lower, and perhaps insurance.
    That is a long way from Florida though.
    Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750