Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: New Bern

Re: New Bern

We returned to our house on the Neuse River about 5 miles down the Neuse from New Bern (Fairfield Harbour) on Monday. Basically had to wait for the roads between Raleigh where we evacuated to our daughter's family house and our home to reopen. This was our first evacuation in 20 years living here and in retrospect it was the right decision. One of the few in the area that has electric which came on Wednesday. Phone/TV/Internet returned yesterday afternoon.

So here my onsite report. River water rose 12 feet in our canal community. Winds were from the East. Prior record for water rise is 8.5 feet from Floyd. Local roads are lined with the property remains from many, many less fortunate folks, with refrigerators, beds, furniture, and all matters of interior stuff.

Our 48 LRC survived without a scratch. It has a stout dock with 8 pilings, each right at 15 inches in diameter. 35 feet long , with 17 feet in the bottom. Double new 3/4" lines. 22 feet of clearance between the inner and outer pilings. We lost "crawl space" equipment in our house due to flooding but nothing in the garage or living interior.

This too will come to pass, but there is a lot of pain being experienced by folks around here and it is going to take time to resolve.
    Pete
    1976 Hatteras 48 LRC
    Blue Chip

Pete, glad to hear you did as well as you did. Just shows what good preparation can do. Thanks for the updates. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Some further info I learned today. Many have seen the video of the marina tearing itself apart at New Bern. That is the Bridgepoint Marina, just across from the old Hilton Grand Marina (now the Double Tree Marina). The Double Tree Marina has less damage but many bruised boats and about 6 sinkers at their docks. The Hotel itself is in bad shape as I have been told with sheet rock down, and windows broken out. Next door the Craven County Convention Center and Union Point Park took a good beating with the River Walk railing down and gone in some cases. Finally, with all the people with non inhabitable residences, in need of a roof over their heads, not a rental or hotel room available within 125 miles. No rental cars or Uhaul trailers. RV's and tents are the best available. You get the picture, not pretty.
    Pete
    1976 Hatteras 48 LRC
    Blue Chip

I stayed at that Double Tree hotel this past July. She was ready for a refit for sure. Reviews from other guests were horrible. I guess it gets a make-over now.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"