Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Hurricane Prep on 53' MY

And I'm taking vacation on the OBX Sunday.... I'll probably get driven out of there.

Quote Originally Posted by Holiday View Post
    I have often wondered if Baltimore was far enough inland to provide reasonable safety during a hurricane. I have never boated there but would like too. I thought Baltimore would be a good place to spend the fall (prime hurricane season) before returning south for the winter. Comments on this thread don't sound like Baltimore provides much more safety during a hurricane than other east coast locations. Am I interpreting these comments correctly?
    We have been spared for the past 5 years that I’ve owned the sailboat . I’ve done all the prep but the storms never made it up this far. However, Past performance is no guarantee of future results as you know. Fells Point flooded pretty significantly in the past but since we’re on floating docks with room on the pilings for 10 ft of storm surge I feel fairly comfortable that won’t be an issue. We are pretty protected all the way up here but I like to be prepared for the worst (especially since I now have two boats to worry about).
    John Novotny
    1979 53 MY "Serenity" #567
    Baltimore, MD

I would suggest getting a roll of high quality 3M masking tape, safe release type, and tape all sliding window seams both at the frame and the joint between the two glass panels. Those windows are optimized to protest against wind and rain in the bow to stern direction, and are usually less water tight in the opposite direction, especially the seam between the two glass panels.

Also give a quick inspection of all your deck drains to assure no obstructions. Also check of window frame drains, and any exterior door frame drains.

And finally, if it moves, and is not inside the boat, put it there or tie it down really good. If you have an on deck mounted tended, extra tie downs are in order.
    Pete
    1976 Hatteras 48 LRC
    Blue Chip

Take a lot of pictured after you have prepped it. Hope you never need them but lawsuits are not won by who is right, rather they are won by who documents better...

After we got ready for Irma, I took about 25 pictures to establish we "took all reasonable actions" to protect the boat.

Speaking of taping things up we have lately been using gaffers tape for some of our dust curtains and other construction work. It sticks like duct tape but doesn't leave the residue. Im thinking about taking a roll down to the boat next time I go in case we get another storm.

I add 6 boxes of damp rids to eliminate mold potential when the power goes out. Matthew created an unexpected 7 day outage at the dock in savannah
    Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750

Here is a post from a couple who survived Irma at Marathon Key last year in a Bayliner 48. They were new to (larger) boating and from their video you can see a real world scenario of what worked in their particular case, and what shortcomings other boats had in the same marina, plus the sheer luck of slip location.

Follow their other videos before and after Irma for more detail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAdKxyU8tUI

wishing you luck,
    MV "Mystery"
    Cheoy Lee 58' Motor Yacht
    Trinidad & Tobago

Quote Originally Posted by MV Mystery View Post
    Here is a post from a couple who survived Irma at Marathon Key last year in a Bayliner 48. They were new to (larger) boating and from their video you can see a real world scenario of what worked in their particular case, and what shortcomings other boats had in the same marina, plus the sheer luck of slip location.

Follow their other videos before and after Irma for more detail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAdKxyU8tUI

wishing you luck,
    Wow. Talk about poor shooting and editing. I guess after a few minutes you just give in to curiosity. OK so I didnt.

Im glad they made out OK.

I wish all getting prepared to ride out this storm in safety with no damage.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I would suggest getting a roll of high quality 3M masking tape, safe release type, and tape all sliding window seams both at the frame and the joint between the two glass panels. Those windows are optimized to protest against wind and rain in the bow to stern direction, and are usually less water tight in the opposite direction, especially the seam between the two glass panels.

Also give a quick inspection of all your deck drains to assure no obstructions. Also check of window frame drains, and any exterior door frame drains.

And finally, if it moves, and is not inside the boat, put it there or tie it down really good. If you have an on deck mounted tended, extra tie downs are in order.
    Excellent suggestions. Thanks!
    John Novotny
    Baltimore, MD

Quote Originally Posted by Holiday View Post
    I have often wondered if Baltimore was far enough inland to provide reasonable safety during a hurricane. I have never boated there but would like too. I thought Baltimore would be a good place to spend the fall (prime hurricane season) before returning south for the winter. Comments on this thread don't sound like Baltimore provides much more safety during a hurricane than other east coast locations. Am I interpreting these comments correctly?
    My marina when Isabelle hit in 2003. Flooding caused the majority of the damage as you can imagine.
    New Picture.jpg
    John Novotny
    Baltimore, MD