Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hurricane Prep on 53' MY

So, I'm well versed in hurricane prep on my 30' sailboat but my new to me Hatt 53 live aboard is a different story. What prep do you guys do for Hurricanes? Florence is a long way out from Baltimore but I've got a busy weekend and if I need to do something I hadn't thought of, I want to get a head start. Haulout is not an option.
    We are on a floating dock in the Inner Harbor of Baltimore. Docks are getting old but ours is still pretty solid. I think we have piling height for at least 10 ft of storm surge so we should be ok there. I'll strip the bimini, wire tie the frame, double and triple the lines with chafe protection. What do you all do about the upper helm cover, rear deck isenglass, and front window shade screens?
    We've had some pretty ridiculous rains this year and the boat is dry but I would probably do a little waterproofing just to be on the safe side.
    Any thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    John
    John Novotny
    1979 53 MY "Serenity" #567
    Baltimore, MD

Re: Hurricane Prep on 53' MY

You've pretty much have it covered for a CAT 1. Above that, place anything that can be blown off down below. Duct tape all covers to instruments.

Get off the boat.

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graph...e_and_wind.png
    You might want to get that plan buttoned up soon
    Jack Sardina

Who ordered that thing?

I was thinking it would be a quiet season.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by saltshaker View Post
    https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graph...e_and_wind.png
    You might want to get that plan buttoned up soon
    Here I was figuring if I was prepared it would turn north...hmmmm
    John Novotny
    Baltimore, MD

6. Re: Hurricane Prep on 53' MY

Give your insurance policy a good review.
    Eric
    1972 Uniflite Salty Dog "Sharon Jean"

https://72saltydog.shutterfly.com/

Preceded by a 1967 Hatteras 34C

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon Jean View Post
    Give your insurance policy a good review.
    Funny you should say that...it is being reviewed as we speak..(type).
    Thanks
    John Novotny
    Baltimore, MD

8. Re: Hurricane Prep on 53' MY

We took off the window covers, but left the instrument panel cover on on the exposed bridge. We taped along the edges to help prevent wind getting under it. Same with covers on the bridge helm chairs. We were 30 miles from the eye of Matthew in '16 and 60 miles from the eye of Irma a year ago, and survived both with nothing other than minor cosmetic rub rail damage. YMMV with a different lay-out from our Pacific Mariner. You should also tape the edges of your doors and opening windows to prevent water being blown through the cracks. And, most importantly, get off the boat if the storm approaches.
    Bill
    Brickell - Miami, Fl
    Cape Elizabeth, Maine

I have often wondered if Baltimore was far enough inland to provide reasonable safety during a hurricane. I have never boated there but would like too. I thought Baltimore would be a good place to spend the fall (prime hurricane season) before returning south for the winter. Comments on this thread don't sound like Baltimore provides much more safety during a hurricane than other east coast locations. Am I interpreting these comments correctly?

Looks like we’re going to have 3 major hurricanes by mid next week. I hate September
    Jack Sardina