Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Water Filter

Water Filter

Is it common to install water filters on these older boats, and where are they installed? I was thinking the kitchen sink and the ice maker. Or is there a more central solution, like at the pump or pressure tank?

Edit: I meant to say "galley" sink. I swear.

Re: Water Filter

I had a central filter installed after the pump and pressure tank so it serviced the whole boat. Remember to install valves before and after to make filter changes easy. On the new boat, we also have a RO system in the galley. On our last Bahamas trip, it cut down our water bottle usage by 75%. We would refill our bottles with RO water.
    Thanks,

Tony

2008 Cheoy Lee Bravo 78 "Bella Sophia"
    1989 78' Hatteras CPMY #311 "Bella Sophia" (sold)
    2007 Everglades 290cc “Bada Bing” (sold)
    2006 Advanced Outdoors 28cc (sold)
    2003 Melges 24 "Bada Bing" (sold)
    2023 HCB 42 “Bada Bing”

Hatteras installed filters on the galley and bar sinks in the 80's. You might take a look at what's there.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I d sY it is common on any boat, not just older boats. I prefer having a big filter just past the water pump, and ideally a UV light if you re going to drink the water. And/Or you can add a drinking water tap at the sink with its own filter
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Photolomy View Post
    Is it common to install water filters on these older boats, and where are they installed? I was thinking the kitchen sink and the ice maker. Or is there a more central solution, like at the pump or pressure tank?

Edit: I meant to say "galley" sink. I swear.
    You might want to update your profile. I looked at yours and it shows you’re not a Hatteras owner so I cannot tell what year you have. However Sky is correct most came with filters in both locations. Aqua Pure AP217 Is the filter replacement.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

As Sky and Rusty said, you may already have one on the cold water (and ice maker) supply.

No need to filter shower water though.

Two weeks ago I *just* got around to replacing mine, and would like to recommend a source for replacement 5589301: www.discountfilters.com who make their own (*not* China, please) at reasonable cost and have fast shipping.

I wound up using online coupons for my other appliances like fridge, etc. at about half price. Their housing for my boat was slightly larger, the fridge ones identical to Whirlpool in construction.

The existing filter unwinds with a quarter-turn counterclockwise and pull out, but I had to pry mine out with a screwdriver since it had been some time.

The date someone had written on it with a marker was "1/98" so two PO's back.

I do like to change them out every twenty years or so whether they need it or not.

DAN

It’s a wonder you still alive Dan.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Very little brain damage, well, a little...

DAN

9. Re: Water Filter

I have one in the ER right next to the accumulator and I think after the water pump. That is the easiest way to do it and seems to work well. It's a whole home size. The first one we used was a culligan brand, but honestly any of the high volume ones will work.

In fairness we don't have water problems much up here in the PNW so its not as critical as it may be down south where you need water softener etc.

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    You might want to update your profile. I looked at yours and it shows you’re not a Hatteras owner so I cannot tell what year you have. However Sky is correct most came with filters in both locations. Aqua Pure AP217 Is the filter replacement.
    Sorry, the boat isn't here yet, but it is under contract. I went ahead and updated my profile. This one seems like a winner, unlike the one I bought last month. When it is in the slip, then I will make the formal announcement. I am just anxious (excited) to get into it.