Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Re: New owner questions on starting and batteries

The amount of lead is a direct influence on longevity. More is better

Also shape and alloy play a part. Charging and maintenance too. Like I said before. Your call if you want to take the chance. Most serious fishermen dont play games. Its insurance in my mind.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    Pardon the hijacking, but maybe this will add to the discussion.

Somebody school me on these two Deka 8 volt batteries, please.

Deka 819, group 983, CCA 510, MCA 625, Reserve 167@8 hrs., 119 lbs, $398 @ Pasco
    Deka 8V195, group 981, CCA 980, MCA 1205, Reserve 170@8 hrs., 90 lbs, $249 @ Pasco

What would be my reasoning to go with 819 over the 8V195?
    Can anyone explain that the specs on the heavier 983’s look much lower than the 981’s? 1/2 the MCA!

Why does a 454 have more hp than an 8v53?
    Which will last longer.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Not sure about longevity. Depends on use and how you take care of your stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Why does a 454 have more hp than an 8v53?Which will last longer.
    You can spin analogies all you want. You can also tear up a Detroit in no time while the little old lady from Pasadena is still driving her gas motor. My 195s have already outlasted the PO’s 819s. There’s all kinds of ways to avert risk.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Myself and friends listened to a owner of a 58' yachtfish who replaces his batteries with 8 volt golf cart batteries. I thought he was crazy. I watched guys with 53' replace theirs with no issue. January 2016 I took the plunge. On my Hatteras the batteries were across the front of the generator room and down the right side behind the generator. You guys know how much they weigh. After all the research I could find, I bought $516 set from a dealer for Club Cart golf carts which has started my boat ever since with no issues. Best of all, I could easily handle the batteries one at a time. We redid the battery boxes and cables across the front of the generator room freeing up all the space behind the generator on the starboard side.
    I thought it was crazy that it would work out in the beginning. After watching others make the move, I am thru with those heavy ass batteries.
    Tomrealest@aol.com
    Needs, Wants & Desires
    1978 58 Hatteras Yachtfish
    SEA 21
    1974 46C #313 Hatteras Convertible

Like I said it's your decision.

I dont know of the golf batteries starting a pair of 8v92s 12 times a day fishing.

I've had mixed results with them on customers boats.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Like I said it's your decision. I dont know of the golf batteries starting a pair of 8v92s 12 times a day fishing.I've had mixed results with them on customers boats.
    Yes of course, you know best. But please don’t be ignorant. 195 ain’t golf cart batteries and you know that.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

And there is a BIG difference between 71's and 92's. Plus, I start once a day. No comparison.
    Tomrealest@aol.com
    Needs, Wants & Desires
    1978 58 Hatteras Yachtfish
    SEA 21
    1974 46C #313 Hatteras Convertible

Yes of course, you know best. But please don’t be ignorant. 195 ain’t golf cart batteries and you know that.
    The 195 is a lighter duty starting battery. I think the extra 30% of the lead in the 819 makes it more durable. Then again some will change them out more often.

Fyi.

A rocket surgeon made the cross over cables for a 52c here. I found the mains from hatteras were all 4/0.

The cables between batteries was 4 ga.

I made new cables.

Before and after.
    Attached Images
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

What, no credit for my "fuse" comment?

Thin plate batteries with a lot of surface area are designed to charge and discharge quickly, but have low amp hour ratings and little tolerance for overcharging or repeated discharging.

Heavier plates make for much better discharge / charging cycles and more amp hour reserve.

The light, high CCA batteries are great as long as your engines fire right up and you don't need to start them repeatedly like we do when we're fishing.

It's all up to the guy writing the check, and I guess if you only have that big outing to the fuel dock once a year it doesn't matter, but I'm a pretty big fan of having plenty of battery in the box, not just for cranking but for house loads and unexpected "oopsies" like leaving loads on that weren't supposed to be.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375