Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Re: New owner questions on starting and batteries

Look up RonNP. He is in your area with us 63’ er. Good guy.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Ron’s now up in Oxnard, I’m John in San Diego, if you get down this way let me know.
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Hello Mitch, and welcome!

Who’s boat did you buy, if I may ask?

John, a few of us get down to SD occasionally. I bought my boat there and it spent a year (2013) at Sunroad on Harbor Island getting ready/renovating. Before Cabo as “Winner 7”, it was in SDYC as “Sugartime”, then LA as “Spry”.

And yes, Mitch, my first purchase was a new set of batteries!

One SD story since I drove from the Bay Area weekly to work on it. I went into Marine Exchange for more parts, and a couple at the counter was describing how *they* were prepping a recently purchased Hatteras for a run up the coast to SF. I introduced myself, and they exclaimed “Are you Dan from the HOF forum?!”.

That was Ann and Jerry on Enamorada who are now near-neighbors to Rusty (Seven). Small world!

DAN

ps Rusty, been a while—might be time for Dead Fish or your Club since I need to go to Martinez soon.

As mentioned, the proper way to test the health of a battery is to load test them:

Fully charge the battery
    Knock off the surface charge, measure voltage
    Apply the load tester which is usually a carbon pile or wire coil resistor with a high power handling capability
    Watch the voltage under load and then the recovery voltage.

If substandard, analyze the charging system to make sure that you don’t kill a new set of batteries. Don’t ignore the cables and connections.

Good luck

George
    Florida
    2002 Cabo 47
    MAN mechanical 800/8's

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality"

I purchased the Mad Hatteras.The seller has done a tremenous job rehabing it.Currently docked in Wilmington, Port of Los Angeles.Planning on a local trip tomorrow, assuming I can get them both started.Mechanic is suppose to get in touch with me soon.It is a holiday weekend, so didn't expect a huge rush till after.Mitch
    Quote Originally Posted by drburke View Post
    Hello Mitch, and welcome!Who’s boat did you buy, if I may ask?John, a few of us get down to SD occasionally. I bought my boat there and it spent a year (2013) at Sunroad on Harbor Island getting ready/renovating. Before Cabo as “Winner 7”, it was in SDYC as “Sugartime”, then LA as “Spry”. And yes, Mitch, my first purchase was a new set of batteries!One SD story since I drove from the Bay Area weekly to work on it. I went into Marine Exchange for more parts, and a couple at the counter was describing how *they* were prepping a recently purchased Hatteras for a run up the coast to SF. I introduced myself, and they exclaimed “Are you Dan from the HOF forum?!”.That was Ann and Jerry on Enamorada who are now near-neighbors to Rusty (Seven). Small world!DANps Rusty, been a while—might be time for Dead Fish or your Club since I need to go to Martinez soon.

Quote Originally Posted by drburke View Post
    Hello Mitch, and welcome!

Who’s boat did you buy, if I may ask?

John, a few of us get down to SD occasionally. I bought my boat there and it spent a year (2013) at Sunroad on Harbor Island getting ready/renovating. Before Cabo as “Winner 7”, it was in SDYC as “Sugartime”, then LA as “Spry”.

And yes, Mitch, my first purchase was a new set of batteries!

One SD story since I drove from the Bay Area weekly to work on it. I went into Marine Exchange for more parts, and a couple at the counter was describing how *they* were prepping a recently purchased Hatteras for a run up the coast to SF. I introduced myself, and they exclaimed “Are you Dan from the HOF forum?!”.

That was Ann and Jerry on Enamorada who are now near-neighbors to Rusty (Seven). Small world!

DAN

ps Rusty, been a while—might be time for Dead Fish or your Club since I need to go to Martinez soon.
    You name the date and I’m there. It would be good to see you.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Took the boat out again last weekend.Same exact issues.Nothing has changed and I don't trust shutting an engine down once I finally get both started.There are dual temp gauges, I presume these are head water temps? (Twin Pyro)They go up to about 700-800 when at cruise power, say 1800 rpms.Don't think there are turbo engines.Also, this boat has twin AC units, CruiseAir.Since built in 75', anyone experienced with which Freon these units use?Hoping to meet mechanic this weekend or early next week to go over charging system/batteries.Thanks,Mitch

Probably R-22 if they havent been converted. Should be a tag on them

Quote Originally Posted by Briankinley2004 View Post
    Probably R-22 if they havent been converted. Should be a tag on them
    The one unit blows very cold.The other is acting like it needs R-22.CruiseAir has a decent webpage.Marine-AC.comThanks!

Low freon blows colder. Have it looked at. You may find its a thermostat or another minor issue and its a simple fix.

R-22 is running $100/Pound installed. Dont let them just fill the system without checking all the temps and pressures.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.