Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

New owner questions on starting and batteries

Hi all.Glad to see such an active community and forum.I'm a new owner of a 1975 48’YachtFish.Purchased the manual, but not the engine manual yet.Seller was the only one showing me starting procedures.His method, after being on shore power (batteries kept up to snuff with onboard charger), hold the parallel switch for 5 second so the Right, then start right engine.Note, volts showing approx 14 at time of start.Left engine would be a tad more sluggish to start same method after right one was running.I've had the boat out twice since purchase.On the sea trial, we never shut down engines till back at the dock.I've managed to start engines at the dock, using shore power to keep batteries up.Onan gen up front left, and fair Winds(?) gen under aft deck.Neither seems to produce enough to get the batteries up to allow starting without shore power selected.With no gen, and no shore power, batteries too weak to do much cranking.The Ship Battery, one in the center, not the two batteries on the right side of right engine, doesn't appear to be hooked up to anything.I'm worried that I can't do an overnight at a location without shore power.I know the best way is to get a qualified mechanic to check existing battery loads.Also check charger output. Guessing if one battery has a short or week cell(s) it can drag the entire starting procedure to a halt.Both engines start easily, once they have enough juice to crank.Anyone have any thoughts on the best ways for me to proceed?Thanks in advance.Mitch

Re: New owner questions on starting and batteries

Sure sounds like bad batteries. Check them , and replace if bad.

A bad battery puts a strain on everything in the circuit. Interesting that the surveyor did not mention a problem when the parallel switch was used to start the engines.
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"

If the prior owner told you to use the par switch to start the motors should have sent up a red flag. Your batteries are in poor condition. Don’t go out for an overnight until you change them out. Sorry for the news.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Spent the day yesterday with a very trusted friend.He is an airline captain, and an HVAC/Electrician.We anaylized all the systems and isolate each for their ability to charge.Was a good education, and we came to the same conclusion without having a load tester.Any idea how much batteries are going to cost?Seller had said he would pay for them, but other than his name and reputation, he has nothing to gain at this point.Thanks for both comments.Mitch

Have batteries load tested. Sounds like they are 12 volt so you can buy a load tester pretty inexpensive. Mine are 8V and its hard to find one. I had one that passed every test, even the 24HR, unconnected volt test. It failed the load test. I replaced the bank for that engine and no problems since. If they are easy to pull out any battery store can test them.

Get them done ASAP before he changes his mind.

Id be interested in how you really tested the battery and charging system.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Just noticed he is on this forum! Now just have to have him return my text.He's a good dude so hoping he will stand by his word.I doubt these are in a super easy place to get to, between the right engine and the inside right hull.I also imagine they weigh hundreds of lbs?Thanks for all who are responding.

The water filled weights about 100 lbs the gel weight about 160. Get some young backs with weight belts.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by Flymitch View Post
    Just noticed he is on this forum! Now just have to have him return my text.He's a good dude so hoping he will stand by his word.I doubt these are in a super easy place to get to, between the right engine and the inside right hull.I also imagine they weigh hundreds of lbs?Thanks for all who are responding.
    Just looked at your profile. Where in California do you keep yours? We are in Northern cal.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    Just looked at your profile. Where in California do you keep yours? We are in Northern cal.
    I’m in SO Cal, Port of Los Angeles!Thanks for reaching out!Mitch