Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anchor Chain

Anchor Chain

Purchased a 58’ WBMY recently and the chain is all bundled up and in knots, what is the best way to unmangle and oil and mark at 50’ increments? Looks to be ~ 200 feet of chain.

Re: Anchor Chain

Do it at the dock if you plan to oil. If not drop anchor and mark it on the way in.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I recently stretched mine out on the dock, draped it over a cardboard box and marked it with spray paint.

Check that the wildcat matches the chain. The only lockers with twisted chain that I have seen had the wrong wildcat and allowed the chain to twist and jump.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I use colored shoe laces ever 50', 3 piece in a row. They last most of a season and I replace as needed.

And now a question, my chain is about 12 years old. And the galvanize is gone in last 100' is so. I guess salt water I keep putting in.

Is that to short for quality chain?
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

Orange tie-wraps every 25 feet will work as well. I put three on a link for 25’, three each on two links 4 links apart for 50’, three each on three links 4 links apart for 75’, etc. When I get to 125’ I start over with three orange tie-wraps on one link. If the day-glo paint wears off I will still have a visual indicator and if I lose a tie-wrap I’ll still have a couple leftover.

Regarding the galvanizing question, it really depends on how often you anchor, the windlass chain gypsy is what wears off the galvanizing, the more times it goes through their both up and down is the factor. When we were cruising and anchoring every day our chain galvanizing lasted about 9 years. Had it re done in New Zeland and wow was it thick, had to help it out the fist couple of times until a little flaked off so it would fit in the gypsy again. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.