Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: LED light

LED light

Hi just wondering where to get 24v DC led light bulbs I purchased some online and
    didnt last long any info would be greatly appricated

Re: LED light

I know everyone likes to knock the Chinese products, but with LEDs I've had very good luck and the prices are less than 1/4 of USA retail. Go to www.dhgate.com (similar to ali baba, but for small quantities). If you search on 30v LED you will get a ton of 9-30vdc and 10-30vdc rated items. They are much more reliable than the 24v ones - they tend to blow if your batteries are at full charge.

Be prepared to wait 3 weeks for delivery. Feel free to PM me for more details, as I've just done a major conversion using Chetco's dimmer module.

A gentleman in our marina with another Hatteras like mine referred me to these folks: https://wattalight.com I have ordered a couple despite the cost and will report back on how well they work and for how long.

Another source which is Alibaba’s official low volume outlet is AliExpress which is easier to transact on than DLGate.

I bought a lot a few years back and tested a half-dozen brands to see who might be full 32V tolerant (36v under charge) and happily found a good source, or so I thought.

But my 3rd batch was different since they don’t actually embrace the concept of a “brand”; about half flamed out.

Don’t use as navigation lights for two reasons: not USCG spproved (Dr. LED is) and our sockets were not designed for low current bulbs and may eventually have electrical contact issues.

DAN
    Last edited by drburke; 08-29-2018 at 06:47 PM.

I found some Phillips dimmable 110 V standard bulbs at Home Depot that work fine in all of my 32 V lights. The 40 W and 60 W equivalent work but for some reason the 75 W equivalent do not. Not one of them has burned out in several years. Some other owners tried this several years ago when I first posted about it and it didn’t work at all for them. I suspect their DC polarity may be reversed from mine. It’s definitely worth a try.
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee