Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Help me pick a color to paint my boat hull sides

One item on the to-do list while on the hard for the winter is paint the hull sides on my 41c. I don't want to do the traditional off white. I don't want to do yellow. And I don't want anything dark that will get hot in the sun.

I'm planning on using Quantum Paint http://quantumpaint.com/color-chart/ I've spoken with folks that use this and they have been pleased. One yard uses it exclusively.

I'm also thinking about going to all stainles steel through hulls from GEMlux http://www.gemlux.com/catalog/plumb I'd like some feedback or pictures on how this looks with a light shade of paint.

A light gray or light blue would probably be my pick. I prefer to use an off-the-shelf color, but they can mix custom colors.

Anybody have input or pictures of hatts with differing colors?

FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Re: Help me pick a color to paint my boat hull sides

I kind of like Ice Blue #8004 that's what I painted my boat.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by BOATER BOB View Post
    Bob
    Second on this! I have seen this color and it looks white but its not. Then you see the blue. Looks traditional but with quite a bit of flair, and then again not so much. I suggest locating a boat painted this color to determine your own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by BOATER BOB View Post
    Bob
    Can you post a pic, or PM me and I can give my email or phone to txt.

I have 3 suggestions. Cream is the normal Hatteras color which makes the boat look larger than dark hulls. Egg Shell White will do the same. That being said I love the Commander Cream. That with the Egg Shell White upper would look classy. PS the Sky Blue is damn sexy. (I guess that’s 4)
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Check out Boatworks today on you tube. He did an episode on Quantum 99 paint. You should watch it before you order the paint. Good fair review of the paint. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

I've always thought if you're going to go for it make a statement.
    CTI blue first and Sky blue second.
    Can never go wrong with white, Pure white and then Viking white in second.
    Think the grey and silver hulls have been the fad lately but that's probably winding down shortly, just like the green fad has.
    The blue hulls never go out of fashion, same for yellow.
    Almost think white is making a come back, can never go wrong with white, I always judge whites compared to Awlgrip Snow white, personally I never cared for the off whites and creams etc.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlett View Post
    Check out Boatworks today on you tube. He did an episode on Quantum 99 paint. You should watch it before you order the paint. Good fair review of the paint. John
    I saw his review a long time ago. I think he was brushing on...I will spray (turbine HVLP). I've spoken with a boat yard owner in (I think in SC, I met randomly in passing) and he said his guys only use Quantum and have had great results with it. Several guys on thehulltruth have used it and like it.

I think it's formulated from airplane paint (like all of them). I like that it can be buffed/blended to allow easier repairs (so they say).

I do understand the "going out of fashion". Never thought that gray would be outdated.....but good point. I do like some of the darker blue hulls, but dark + sun is just not practical. I don't mind yellow, and it may look great...I'm just not sold on it. I'd prefer something a little more subtle and unique.
    Last edited by krush; 08-27-2018 at 11:23 PM.

Yellow never goes out of style I've seen the yellow on a 41 with white top sides looks very Good!