Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Davit leaking fluid and stopped working

Our Marquip 1000 Davit is leaking fluid. I cannot tell if it is a cylinder or a hose, and cannot find a manual to help me figure out how to repair it. Does anyone know of a repair shop near Philadelphia? I would consider taking it off the boat and driving it to a repair shop but do not have a manual showing how. Perhaps it is easier than it looks?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Re: Davit leaking fluid and stopped working

Find a hydraulic shop that fixes rams and such and have the. Send out a tech. It's probably not a huge job but having someone familiar with the systems makes it easier.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Depending on the source of the leak, it could be difficult or really difficult. Best to put on some safety goggles and put your face under the boom while a good friend hits each of the control buttons. If it is a hose end fitting or hose leak some 3/4 wrenches and absorbent diapers are all you need to remove and take to a hose guy anywhere in town. If it is a cylinder (depending on the model, there will be 1,2,or 3), then the whole boom will have to be removed, turned upside down on some saw horses and cylinder wrestled out. Taking off the rod end that holds the wire rope will take at least 1 day the first time you do it - 15 minutes, the second time. Take the leaking cylinder(s) to any hydraulic repair shop to do a rebuild.

If you do all this yourself, you will likely need to refill the fluid. It is critical to remember to add the fluid when the cylinders are retracted. Otherwise, you will have fluid all over your deck when it overflows.
    Last edited by R D Young; 08-28-2018 at 07:24 PM.

4. Re: Davit leaking fluid and stopped working

Most of the time a leak from the boom will be either an abraded hose or a rod seal on the hoist or, if so equipped, the extension cylinder. The AN fittings on the hoses/cylinders and O ring fittings on the manifold block won't leak over time if not disturbed.

Before starting removing the boom, get a handful of steel AN plugs and caps to seal things up to minimize oil spills. Should be -4 but check first. Cut the hook off before starting. When reassembling, cut out a piece of 1" thick rubber the same diameter as the weight. Drill a hole thru the center of it to pass the cable thru so it is between the weight and pulley box. When you crimp the hook back on, place the crimps so the cable draws the rubber disc up snug to the pulley box when the hoist rod is fully retracted. Keeps things quiet underway.

I ended up having the davit rebuilt. I took it to Worton Creek marina, in the north Chesapeake. They pulled it off with a crane, sent it out to a hydraulics shop to be rebuilt and a new cable installed. I came back a few weeks later and they reinstalled it.

Total cost was $1800

It works great now but I have a real issue trying to get the tender back on the boat with only myself and the Admiral, because of the list caused by a 13' Whaler with a 40HP Yamaha. I know this issue has been addressed in other threads, using pulleys, etc., but I was wondering if anyone has any pictures of their set up.

I found an electric winch under the upper helm and I have a feeling it might have been used by previous owners to swing the davit when it is holding the tender. We plan to take the boat from Philly to the Bahamas next year and anticipate using the tender frequently. I need some way to make it easier to get the tender on and off.

6. Re: Davit leaking fluid and stopped working

All of the above is generally correct. Be glad that you have Marquipt. I had the same problem with a Nautical Structures 1500 hydraulic. No customer service from them. Ended up using a Marquipt guy working on his own time. Took 3 months and $6000. Of course, I’m in the Keys so everything takes longer and costs more.
    Bill
    Brickell - Miami, Fl
    Cape Elizabeth, Maine

7. Re: Davit leaking fluid and stopped working

Quote Originally Posted by Looking Glass View Post

It works great now but I have a real issue trying to get the tender back on the boat with only myself and the Admiral, because of the list caused by a 13' Whaler with a 40HP Yamaha. I know this issue has been addressed in other threads, using pulleys, etc., but I was wondering if anyone has any pictures of their set up.

I found an electric winch under the upper helm and I have a feeling it might have been used by previous owners to swing the davit when it is holding the tender. We plan to take the boat from Philly to the Bahamas next year and anticipate using the tender frequently. I need some way to make it easier to get the tender on and off.

I had same issue on my Viking with a manual rotation davit. Was able to get some relief by swaping ends on the tender so that the outboard motor was closer to thr center of gravity. Also used a chain “come-along” to get the tender aboard.
    Bill
    Brickell - Miami, Fl
    Cape Elizabeth, Maine

Quote Originally Posted by captainwjm View Post
    All of the above is generally correct. Be glad that you have Marquipt. I had the same problem with a Nautical Structures 1500 hydraulic. No customer service from them. Ended up using a Marquipt guy working on his own time. Took 3 months and $6000. Of course, I’m in the Keys so everything takes longer and costs more.
    Nautical Structure is awful. I had some issues with the davit on the 84 Lazzara I run. Took me weeks to get them to schedule the work. I had to post about the problem on Yacht Forums to get their attention

The best service for Davits is from QuickLift Great product, great service
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat