Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Gas strut orientation

I intend to add a gas strut to hold open the hatch on the back deck of my LRC. I’m trying to decide whether to mount the base near the hinge end on the coaming with the strut attaching to the hatch near the midline or to mount the base to the coaming near the opening and the end of the strut facing the hinge end of the hatch. So, when open, the strut will either kind of parallel the hatch or be perpendicular. Looking at a 12”x20” strut. 20#?
    Captain Paul Stich
    1976 Hatteras 48 LRC

Talking Re: Gas strut orientation

Here is a picture of the hatch.
    Captain Paul Stich
    1976 Hatteras 48 LRC

Re: Gas strut orientation

Well that didn’t work. Ok I’ve added pictures before but can’t anymore. It says to drag it but it won’t drag. It’s the hatch that opens onto the boat deck.
    Captain Paul Stich
    1976 Hatteras 48 LRC

You don’t drag it. Click add
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Yeah that didn’t work either. Maybe because I’m using an iPhone.
    Captain Paul Stich
    1976 Hatteras 48 LRC

You have to pay apple for it to work.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Ha that’s probably right. It is just a picture of the hatch I’m talking about. Not necessary for an answer.
    Captain Paul Stich
    1976 Hatteras 48 LRC

I recently added gas struts to a dock box lid.
    It was tricky ! Moving the base mount 1 or 2 inches in either direction would cause the lid to not stay up or would not close completely. Hopefully someone here with up to date geometry skills can chime in on this.
    Capt. Rob

Yeah I’m worried about that. I can’t duplicate the weights but think I’ll build a 2x4 frame and plywood hatch to hinge to it and try it out there first. I’ll first mount the base and then retract the piston and mount to the hatch in the closed position to ensure it won’t bottom out and not allow it to close. I’ll try a 20 and then if it won’t hold I’ll swap it for a 30 lb. Think I’ll mount the base on the opening side so when open it will be oriented perpendicular to the hatch which should make it easier to hold open. I’d like for it to actually open the hatch when unlatched. The purpose it to hold the hatch open to provide ventilation since I have closed in the back deck. Next I’ll have a screen cover made to keep bugs out.
    Captain Paul Stich
    1976 Hatteras 48 LRC

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Paul View Post
    Yeah that didn’t work either. Maybe because I’m using an iPhone.
    Works with the phone to. If you need help call me and I’ll walk you through it. 650-619-2308 Rusty
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California