Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Cost of bow thrusters and stabilizers?

I've heard a lot of numbers for the gyros but they do work great.

It's probably between $50 - 100k because you may need more than one to fit them. The boats not designed for it.

The sportfishing guys love them as the not only make the ride nicer but I'm told save fuel and no loss of speed
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I’m getting quotes now for a SeaKeeper install on a 2002 75 CPMY. Plan is to remove Center section of aft water tank (centerline @ stern) and install unit there inside lazerett. Water tank volume would be made up by making the remaining halves of water tank taller and connecting with a crossover tube. Existing fin stabilizer system will remain to compliment the SeaKeeper underway, hopefully will be best of both worlds.

Quote Originally Posted by RonNP View Post
    I was thinking about a gyro for my boat before I got the quote.

Parts are $100,000 for my 63 CPMY
    Labor another $9,000

I will stick with my old NAIAD system for now.
    Go ahead Ron add it. I’m just waiting up here. Lol
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by Passages View Post
    $110k for a gyro? Ouch!

I had heard the best place for a gyro on a MY is under the master stateroom bed. While they do work at anchor, I would not sleep well knowing there is a massive wheel spinning 100,000 rpm"s right under my pillow.
    Gives a hole new meaning to "boom"!
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

I had Florida Bow Thrusters instal one in my 61 a few months ago. It was just under $18,000. They travel all over to do instals and have it down to a science. I got a price from them and also called a few yards. When I told the yards I had already talked to FBT the yards said to go with them, they are the best. They worked on it Friday and Saturday, the yard wouldn't let them work on Sunday. Boat was ready to go back in the water Monday afternoon. My boat is also a kevlar hull which they say makes it more difficult because they couldn't use normal resin.

I did an electronics package on a boat that Florida bow thruster was installing a thruster on.

They worked with me to locate the control on The same panel i was making for the new electronics. They also did a great job of keeping on schedule and a clean work area. Id recommend them in a minute
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    I got a great deal on a used/new Trac digital. About $18k for used but rebuild actuators and valves, all new electronics, touch screen etc. it s hard to put a number on the labor as it was done during the repower but between removing the old Vospers, reinforcing the hull and installing the new ones I’d say it was about 2 weeks. Since it was not done at regular yard rates I saved a lot of money

I had been told that a new stab system installed usually easily runs 50/60k

I don’t have any numbers on what it would cost to add a bow thruster...

I think the stabilizers are probably one of the few upgrades that will result in a significant value increase. Obviously not by the full amount but probably around 75% of the costs
    That 75% seems to be extremely optimistic. One only need look at Yachtworld to see where the numbers line up for stabilized vs non-stabilized vessels of the same breed.

Bow thrusters are nice, but they are hardy necessary on twin engine boats in the size range of Jim's. Hard to see how either would be a good investment, but that's just my personal opinion.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Thrusters and stabilizers increase the value somewhat but if the boats a POC they won't make it worth much more.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

That's pretty much a given, but I don't think anyone was suggesting installing these items on a POC.

Seems to me this falls under the same category as a repower. Do it for yourself, not the next guy who ends up with your boat.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Bow thruster (Vetus 24v unit) install just done today in a 50' deckhouse MY by East Coast bow thrusters was $14,500. Upper and lower station controls. Nice looking job.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"