Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Cost of bow thrusters and stabilizers?

This is probably a question for the brokers but would appreciate a guesstimate of the installed cost of new thrusters and stabilizers are for a 58-63 MY.

Also curious haw much these add on's would increase boat value.

Re: Cost of bow thrusters and stabilizers?

Can't give you a guesstimate beyond, "a bunch", but I guarantee you they will add to resale value only a fraction of what they will cost to install.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

I got a great deal on a used/new Trac digital. About $18k for used but rebuild actuators and valves, all new electronics, touch screen etc. it s hard to put a number on the labor as it was done during the repower but between removing the old Vospers, reinforcing the hull and installing the new ones I’d say it was about 2 weeks. Since it was not done at regular yard rates I saved a lot of money

I had been told that a new stab system installed usually easily runs 50/60k

I don’t have any numbers on what it would cost to add a bow thruster...

I think the stabilizers are probably one of the few upgrades that will result in a significant value increase. Obviously not by the full amount but probably around 75% of the costs
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Have a question for the MY folks.
    The biggest thing in the sportfish world these days is adding a gyro stabilizer, how come the MY folks never mention them. Seems the pricing is relatively similar with the added advantage of using the gyro at anchor??
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    The biggest thing in the sportfish world these days is adding a gyro stabilizer, how come the MY folks never mention them. Seems the pricing is relatively similar with the added advantage of using the gyro at anchor??
    Power?
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Pretty old information, but adding a bow thruster to Aslan in 2006 was $10,000.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    I was thinking about a gyro for my boat before I got the quote.

Parts are $100,000 for my 63 CPMY
    Labor another $9,000

I will stick with my old NAIAD system for now.
    Looking for a 80 plus foot yacht
    Hatteras of Cheoy Lee

For that price you could tie four or five used Harleys on the aft deck, leave them running, and rev them up when you needed the gyro effect...
    just kidding.

Problem with gyros isn’t just the cost but the space. In most boats it s hard to find the space although the genny room of most older Hatteras MY probably has enough space In some cases they install two smaller gyros.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

$110k for a gyro? Ouch!

I had heard the best place for a gyro on a MY is under the master stateroom bed. While they do work at anchor, I would not sleep well knowing there is a massive wheel spinning 100,000 rpm"s right under my pillow.