Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Furuno navnet3D dilemna

Our navnet3D black box has been acting up crashing or not starting uo at all. Sometimes it works fine for a week, sometimes it crashed up throwing various errors including the infamous windoze blue acreen of death.

Local furuno dealer says at 9 years old it s not worth fixing... hard to argue with that as we already had it fixed a year ago...

We have three options..

-Get a new MFDBB, about $7500. Not crazy about spending that much money on 10 year old tech which will soon be discontinued by furuno
    -Install new 15" Navnet touch MFDs, about $10k for two but that s a big downsize from the current 20" monitors we have now...
    -Get a new Navnet touch black box which means getting new large touch acreen monitors... $15k or so. I dont care much for the touch screen tech...

Switching to another brand mKes no sense as the radar, ais and sounder module would also have to be replaced...

I m leaning towards just getting a new MFDBB black box and hope we get a few years out of it...

Any sugestion / experience welcome

PS not my boat obviously but the 84 lazzara i run.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Re: Furuno navnet3D dilemna

The tztouch 2 MFD may be smaller, but the resolution is the same or higher, so more info is available. You can also use an ipad remotely with them. They are pretty sweet.

The Tztouch is the "older" but "more durable" they say. I'd go Tz2 with the sweet new NXT radards. You can also look on eBay and find plenty of used stuff or call up Max Marine, they have tons of stuff and know how to fix things https://maxmarineelectronics.com
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

I'd go to EBay and buy another MFDBB for a couple grand. I have the mfd 12's and have never paid more than 1000 for one. Furuno will be supporting that stuff for a long time according to the last tech I talked to..........Pat

Contact Max Marine Electronics in Pompano, they sell used/refurbished, parts, etc on Ebay and direct, do repairs, upgrades etc. Have bought a few things and they've fixed a few things for us too.
    Last edited by Cricket; 08-21-2018 at 10:40 AM.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Thanks for the tip about MaxMarine. I just ordered a used one, manufacturer 2011 so a little newer than ours, fully tested for only $999. Not much to loose at this price and I can pick it up being local we re heading to the Exumas next Tuesday and I s rather have a working system.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Picked it up this morning and it s up and running with all thb hardware configured I had to buy the Cmap / Explorer Bahamas Charts again but one call to Explorer charts for me the direct phone nr at Cmap. Within 30’ I had the email with download and unlock codes and the Explorer charts are now installed.

Thanks again for the eBay and Max Marine suggestion
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

PM sent.

DAN