Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Anchor chain will not stow without help below

So we tried out our new Rocna Vulcan anchor last night with great results. It set well and held during three tidal current changes of 180*. But when we left our trouble began: the anchor chain kept jamming in the pipe as the windlass brought the chain aboard. We had to station someone in the fwd stateroom with a long stick to keep knocking the pyramid of chain over to make room for the rest.

I see that 1/2 of the locker is dedicated to rope anchor rode with a partition has anyone ever opened this area up for chain use only and did that help at all?

FYI the rode is 7/16” G4 and is 250’ long

Re: Anchor chain will not stow without help below

On my 53 MY I found that the chain locker had a platform glassed in fairly high up in the locker, below this platform was nothing but air, so I cut out the platform and lowered it about a foot to give the chain a longer fall and more chance for the castles to fall over before they jam, works great can load at least 150 feet of 3/8 chain without having to knock it over. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Re: Anchor chain will not stow without help below

I have 225' of 3/8" chain, and my windlass is on deck, I secure the 100' of line secured up out of the way with a plastic tie, mostly so the chain isn't on top of it and only had an issue once. That time i had a tad more than 200 ' out.

I actually only have the line, 3/4", for the just in case I ever need to get away from the anchor.
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY