Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Unusual Anchor Question

Quote Originally Posted by JLR View Post
    Still trying to figure this out. As Pascal said, perhaps I need to drop the anchor just a few inches before leaving the dock. My high school physics teacher must be laughing at me now.
    Exact.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    The weight may work, you can probably attach it to the hole for a trip line which most anchors have
    I think I will give that a try. Any idea what to use for a weight that might not be too unsightly. After all, it is the first think you see when I am bow in to the dock.

Simple solutions are the most eloquent. Add a rubber bump stop that stops the anchor further out and allows you to pull it tight for travel.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

It s not that easy... the rubber can not be in contact with the chain or it will be shredded after a dozen time anchoring and since anchor chutes are often made of SS, driling and securint anything isnt an easy job...
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    It s not that easy... the rubber can not be in contact with the chain or it will be shredded after a dozen time anchoring and since anchor chutes are often made of SS, driling and securint anything isnt an easy job...
    Don't think Krush means it to touch chain put it on the front underside of pulpit so anchor stays angled down some.
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

Quote Originally Posted by JonHupp View Post
    You guys are all spoiled. My windless (original) only goes up, so somebody always needs to go forward and untie the anchor and give it a nudge. I thought that was part of anchoring? ....
    Jon is right, and if your windlass is GM that requires the anchor to be dropped by loosening the nut on the capstan and not paid out by windlass power then someone must be on the fore deck, so pulling few inches of chain to help it around the gypsy wheel should do the trick.
    M/V BONAZZA
    1980 Hatteras
    37 Convertible
    Hull# - 405
    Twin DD 6-71NA
    Vancouver, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    Suppose you slowly fed the chain out, a little at a time, while watching the anchor from up close to determine the tipping point where it drops- could you add a pad of some kind, either a rubber bumper or add some additional fiberglass for the anchor to rest against when it is fully pulled up? That way, when you started to pay out the chain, the anchor would already be past its tip point and would drop as you want it to.
    My suggestion was to watch it at the dock, while you let the chain out slowly, to find the tipping point. Then add something to the roller to have the anchor rest just beyond that point, so that when it's drawn up by the windlass it is ready to drop when the chain is loosened. I think some of the other ideas are similar.

John, so do you kill the breaker after every use or no?? If not what are you using to keep the anchor secure in the anchor roller ?? My point is that if you were using a chain stopper, or some other device to make sure the anchor doesn't deploy by itself you'd have to go to the fore deck to ready it for use. I don't trust those switches , if one shorts out the windlass turns on. Seems like giving the anchor a little kick is not a big deal. I rarely deploy the anchor from the helm. Only if it is really deep and I have to keep the boat on station while I drop enough chain to hit the bottom.......Pat

Pat - I do use a chain stopper. So, before I leave the dock, I could let out a little chain. But, once I retrieve the anchor and want to move to a new spot, I would have to also leave a little more chain out so that the anchor is not flush with the pulpit to be able to drop it again. I am exploring the weight option as we speak. It is not a huge deal but I do not want to be going to and from the bow while fishing since I am almost always fishing alone. Kind of a safety issue for me.

I thought I found the solution. But, nooooo,! I added two round rudder zincs on either side of the hole already existing at the 90 degree angle point of my Lewmar Claw. It sure helped the anchor drop/no drop issue. However, for some reason, the added weight at that point of the anchor totally prevented the anchor from setting properly. I tried five times in five different spots. No dice. I then removed the rudder zincs and she held fine again. Who knew anchors were designed with such precision.