Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Unusual Anchor Question

I have an anchor and all chain rode. When the windlass pulls up the anchor and it is all the way up all under the pulpit, all is well. However, when I go to re-deploy the anchor, it is balanced such that the windlass feeds out chain but the anchor itself does not drop down from the pulpit. Unless I go from the bridge and give the anchor a nudge, it is balanced in such a way that she will not drop. I do not want to pull the anchor up so that it is NOT tight to the pulpit (i.e. leaving a little slack in the chain) because I do want the anchor moving around under the pulpit underway. Backing down really fast to get it drop does not work well. There has to be a really simple solution to get the anchor to want to drop but I just do not know what it is. Any ideas?

Re: Unusual Anchor Question

I use a hinged davit roller that allows the initial drop to get everything moving. This needs to be a solid quality piece or it can easily be destroyed. They do make a small hinged rocker I have seen for on top of a pulpit where the rode goes through rather than of the end.

It s about the weight balance of the anchor on the roller unfortunately some anchors and pulpits do not work well together. I ve seen this on some boat and the only way besides modifying the roller is to prelaunch the anchor coming in the anchorage
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Still trying to figure this out. As Pascal said, perhaps I need to drop the anchor just a few inches before leaving the dock. My high school physics teacher must be laughing at me now.

Had the same problem on another boat we had and I moved the end roller down two inches. It was painful to drill that thick SS but it worked fine after.....Pat

add a weight to the anchor somehow. Its the tip point that needs to be changed. Probably not a huge amount of weight either.Might be a pound or two.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by JLR View Post
    Still trying to figure this out. As Pascal said, perhaps I need to drop the anchor just a few inches before leaving the dock. My high school physics teacher must be laughing at me now.
    Exact.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by JLR View Post
    maybe he/she is a sailor, with out a windlass, oblivious to this challenge? hey you never know.
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY