Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Exhaust Pipe Leak

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    Bite the bullet and go with fiberglass.
    +1 on the fiberglass.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Quote Originally Posted by SeaEric View Post
    +1 on the fiberglass.
    I certainly agree that fiberglass is best. I would question whether my boat (and certainly it's owner) will be around in 30 years to reap the benefits of glass over stainless. Certainly will investigate both, it will come down to price, shipping.... I suspect new stainless 'Hammerheads' will outlast me and my '83 MY. I completely agree with everybody that it is foolish to try and repair what I have. Thanks. Jon

Follow up on the "Hammerhead" (also called "Hammer Exhaust Collector" by some shops). I've contacted various exhaust fabricators in New York, Florida, and Georgia (Centek). Going price is $1600 to $1800 each. This, of course, does not include the cost of sending my old units to them and shipping the new ones back to me.
    I may try and fix my current one before spending $4000 or more for two new ones.

If it’s not in an area where it gets real hot try F-12 or flex seal tape for a temporary fix.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I can tell this will be frowned upon, but I can report from experience that success can be had with "Marine Tex". Looks like you have lots of access in your work area. You can wire wheel the bad material off to get clean metal. Clean the area thoroughly and mix a batch of marine tex. With a gloved hand, work it into all of the pinholes and let it set up. After that you can sand it again and apply a second coat over the WHOLE area with a brush or spatula. Smooth it out with a gloved hand again. It dries grey and shiny, it's very hard, and will buy you a minimum of a couple years.

No this is not the proper way to fix your issue, but it will ensure it's sealed for quite some time and I don't think you're in danger of that pipe splitting in two and sinking the boat. My .02.