Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Exhaust Pipe Leak

Hi,
    I've got a 1983 53'ED with 8V71TIs. I have a water (and I assume exhaust) leak in the engine room from the huge pipe that collects exhaust/water from both shower heads and joins to form an 8" pipe that goes to the main exhaust. The leak is small and is on the inferior side (of course, rust) just where the pipes from each side join to form the big 8" pipe (ahead of the hose and hose clamps).

I have a couple of questions.

1) What is this huge pipe (exhaust collector from both sides) called?

2) I've had it 'repaired' once, but I wasn't impressed. Can this be replaced or should I just look for another place that can cut out the bad metal and weld in a new patch? The good news is this is a low pressure pipe. The bad news is it has a lot of water flow and potentially exhaust leak into the engine room. Again, this is after the shower heads, which look fine and don't leak.

Thanks.
    Jon

Re: Exhaust Pipe Leak

I suspect that you're describing a part that is referred to as a "hammerhead". The originals are welded stainless and they go bad at the welds. There are various ways to replace them. If you're in Md. call DD mechanic Tom Hug.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by SeaEric; 08-18-2018 at 02:43 PM.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Quote Originally Posted by SeaEric View Post
    I suspect that you're describing a part that is referred to as a "hammerhead". The originals are welded stainless and they go bad at the welds. There are various ways to replace them. If you're in Md. call DD mechanic Tom Hug.
    Thank you. I know Tom. He's frequently so busy I was wondering about other options. Thanks.

I have exactly same issue in same place (surge suppressors). Fortunately the guys at Marine Exhaust in Riviera Beach are only 5 minutes away from our marina. Mark came over and gave us a quote to replace both sides with fiberglass for around $3K plus install. They are running about a month out from when you give them a deposit, and then it’s 1-2 weeks once they have your exhaust in their shop. We’re jus waiting for next haul out in a few months.
    Jerry B.
    "Sea Joy"
    Hull #318
    1977 58MY (Galley Up)
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL

Quote Originally Posted by nautibake View Post
    I have exactly same issue in same place (surge suppressors). Fortunately the guys at Marine Exhaust in Riviera Beach are only 5 minutes away from our marina. Mark came over and gave us a quote to replace both sides with fiberglass for around $3K plus install. They are running about a month out from when you give them a deposit, and then it’s 1-2 weeks once they have your exhaust in their shop. We’re jus waiting for next haul out in a few months.
    I looked at their site and they look like they know this end of the business. Unfortunately, living in Maryland, I would rather not have to remove my 'Hammerheads,' ship them to Florida and then have the fiberglass ones shipped back to me. Their products look great! Thanks.

My boat is in NJ but I had Tom Hugg do my engine survey while it was in MD. My boat will be hauled mid October so I won't need to worry about plugging the exhaust while work is being done.

Another option might be to take them to a local steel fabricator and have a new set made in 316 stainless using your old ones as a pattern.

If I had to guess (I own a steel fabrication company) I'd say the cost would be close to the fiberglass units. Only difference is the fiberglass units will likely last forever whereas the stainless units will eventually wear out due to the diesel exhaust which tends to eat into the metal over time.

If you take that route they should use 316 weld wire. Old ones lasted thirty some odd years.......
    Brian L

IMPETUOUS - 1984 Hatteras 53 ED MY Hull #CN720
    GOD'S GIFT - 1972 Chris Craft 42 Ft. Commander
    QUEEN B - 1974 Century 24 Ft Buccaneer
    GOD'S LITTLE GIFT - 1962 Johnson 19 Ft. Runabout
    MON AMI - 1984 Catalina 30Ft. Sloop

I would not try and patch the old ones. Just asking for trouble there.
    Brian L

IMPETUOUS - 1984 Hatteras 53 ED MY Hull #CN720
    GOD'S GIFT - 1972 Chris Craft 42 Ft. Commander
    QUEEN B - 1974 Century 24 Ft Buccaneer
    GOD'S LITTLE GIFT - 1962 Johnson 19 Ft. Runabout
    MON AMI - 1984 Catalina 30Ft. Sloop

Bite the bullet and go with fiberglass.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Fiberglass is the way to go.
    I had a stainless surge tube issue with some holes, to get thru the season we slid exhaust hose over the pipe and hose clamped it, had a few holes in the welds too and used epoxy to seal those. Then sent them to Marine Exhaust for fiberglass ones.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E