Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Media blasting

Media blasting

has anyone DiY'd thier boat? .. due to very very poor paint prep by earlier owners I need to blast the whole boat (34 Trunk cabin) .. some of the prices I'm getting are crazy. I can rent either a soda balster or a dry ice blaster for a reasonable
    number .... it seems the dry ice might be a little more "gentle"

rent on the soda arouund 2k for a month 3k for the dry ice, about 1/2 that for a week ... estimates to have it done are 5-10k and the guy that came and looked figured 2 days to do the job.. the higher numbers were phone guesses

Re: Media blasting

Its $150 an hour to get blasting here. That's wet wet with sand in a containment pit. I think media may be more as the cost of the material is higher.

Can you find a place to do it where the environmental protection is available?

I like the technology of the dry ice blasting. What's the cost for the media?
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I do have a "place" to do it .. protection... well it's in NH away from the water ... so it would be a catch pan and plastic containment curtains

I'd test an area. If it's too aggressive it will add lots of work to the prep. Also look at chemical stripping
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

It has been some years, but have done 2 boats. Had an area. On the 2nd boat, Rented a 90 or 100cfm diesel trailer compressor, bought a sand blaster. I was good by the end. Took me 6 or so hours with everything working to finish. Translation with cleanup was all weekend. Dry ice sounds fabulous. Contaminated sand is heavy.
    Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750

thanks