Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

8v92ta - turbo oil / airsep

For those of you with experience with Walker AirSeps; one of my turbos is throwing some oil than the other. See picture - the other one is dry. First, is this normal/"within spec"? It looks perhaps worse than it is. This is the result of some 100 hours, mostly at 1250rpm though, but the occasional wot as well. What needs to be fixed? Or is this reason why some invest in AirSeps and levewit be with that? Thanks for your input 😊Kristian
    Attached Images

2. Re: 8v92ta - turbo oil / airsep

That isn't a Walker Airsep. It looks like a plain filter with a foam sock over it.

Oil won't come out of the turbo, It is sucked into the engine. Where are your crankcase vent hoses? Is the elbow on the right side of the image the vent from the rocker cover breather?
    Last edited by kelpy; 08-18-2018 at 10:11 AM.

Re: 8v92ta - turbo oil / airsep

Quote Originally Posted by kelpy View Post
    That isn't a Walker Airsep. It looks like a plain filter with a foam sock over it. Oil won't come out of the turbo, It is sucked into the engine. Where are your crankcase vent hoses? Is the elbow on the right side of the image the vent from the rocker cover breather?
    Hi, I am very aware that the filter is not an Airsep. The elbow you're referring is the rocket cover vent, yes. If I understood you correctly, the oil is probably coming from this vent rather than the turbo then?

I have an 8v71ti with similar 'original' filters. Not interested in a crankcase breather setup right now but I'd love to get rid of the oily sponge covers and convert to a K&M or similar product. Does anybody have a part number and good source for such a filter upgrade? Thanks. Jon

If there is no cover on that vent then yes, that is the source of your oil.

6. Re: 8v92ta - turbo oil / airsep

That is where the oil is coming from. I would think just about everything in your engine room must have a fine coating of lube oil. That condition will foul up the turbo and aftercooler if you have one in no time.

You can make a catch can to collect the oil and return the vapors to the intake. You can run your airbox drain tubes to it as well. I would think your turbos, blowers, airboxes and everything else in the machinery spaces will be needing a good "scrubbin" by now.

Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by JonHupp View Post
    Not interested in a crankcase breather setup right now but I'd love to get rid of the oily sponge covers and convert to a K&M or similar product.
    A K&N is an oily sponge.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    A K&N is an oily sponge.
    Well I guess it makes no sense to replace one oily sponge with another. I look at some CCV's. Thanks.

It's just the point that a K&N is an oiled gauze filter. I'm not saying they're bad, although since filtration requirements on a boat are minimal they are a bit of overkill.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375