Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

AC Pressure Transducers to N2K?

AC is working well for the most part, but occasionally firing the HPF and auto shutdown. I would like to monitor the 5 condensers pressure from the various N2K displays on board.I have the Maretron FPM100 module and 5 pressure transducers. These have 1/4” NPT male (photo attached). Can someone please advise (this eldumbo) where to attach the transducers to the condensors? I know I will need an adaptor. Any thoughts greatly appreciated.
    Jerry B.
    "Sea Joy"
    Hull #318
    1977 58MY (Galley Up)
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL

Re: AC Pressure Transducers to N2K?

Hi Jerry,
    Would you be interested in pressure sensors that would let you monitor the pressures of your AC system from your smart phone or device over Blue Tooth?

I work directly with a company that has a Blue Tooth based sensor system, one for the high and one for the low pressure port. It will screw right onto the current service port of your condenser / compressor with no adapters. The one in your photo looks like it is 1/8" npt and you will need a 1/8" npt to SAE 7/16-20 45 deg flare adapter..

they have a pretty cool app that talks to them.

If you are interested I can send you a photo of a set on a Cruisair unit and a link to the info?
    Tim
    1979 53' MY Hull #566
    KNOW PRESSURE
    Hampton, Virginia

Thanks Tim,
    I already have a remote access gateway to the entire N2K network with the Maretron IPG100. I just need to get the transducers connected and then plug the FPM100 (fluid pressure) module plugged in to the network. The documentation that came with the transducers says “1/4-18 NPT Male”.

Sorry I am clueless on the AC, but I believe the High Pressure side is the red, but want to be sure I connect the transducer to the right place. Here is a close up in case it helps. Are either of the two red valve caps where I should connect the transducer?
    Attached Images
    Jerry B.
    "Sea Joy"
    Hull #318
    1977 58MY (Galley Up)
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL

Also an option on the top of the newer units might be better.
    Attached Images
    Jerry B.
    "Sea Joy"
    Hull #318
    1977 58MY (Galley Up)
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL

I m not sure there are any benefits in constantly monitoring gas pressure. What would be more useful I think would be raw water temperature sensor at the discharge side. That would alert you to restricted flow before issues get worst
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Blue usually means low/suction side and red usually means high/liquid side. The high side should have a smaller diameter line heading to the evaporator and be warmer and the low side should be a larger diameter pipe returning and be cooler. The ports that you show are the service and charging ports, not the best place for transducers. Elsewhere should be ports where the existing high and low side pressure sensors are attached which usually have schrader valves allowing "hot swapping" of sensors. Always crack those slowly in case the schrader core is leaking, especially on the high side where a release can be catastrophic. If you do decide to attach to the service ports, be sure that you understand the fully back seated and not fully back seated positions before removing those caps because again, a mistake here can be dangerous. There are NO schraders on the normal service ports, so if you remove the caps with the wrong valve position you will be venting the system.

George
    Last edited by Reefgeorge; 08-18-2018 at 02:40 PM.
    Florida
    2002 Cabo 47
    MAN mechanical 800/8's

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality"

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    I m not sure there are any benefits in constantly monitoring gas pressure. What would be more useful I think would be raw water temperature sensor at the discharge side. That would alert you to restricted flow before issues get worst
    Thanks Pascal. Maybe so, but I have gone a little bizerk with sensors and already had the Maretron module so what the heck. The HP fail has happened the past 3 times we have gone out with guests on board, so I want to be able monitor from the helm. Yes, probably overkill, but I like monitoring the data. Great idea on the raw water exit temp, I hadn’t thought of that. Will add it to the list. I have raw water flow sensors on the GenSet and both Seakeepers that have been a big improvement. Maybe the exit temp on the AC pump is better than just another flow meter.

As an aside, I also have timers and counters connected to each bilge pump available on the N2K and it provided an early warning of a raw water pump failure that was pumping a deluge into the generator room last year on the way to Key West, so I am rationalizing all the other things I can monitor, even if not pragmatic!

Quote Originally Posted by Reefgeorge View Post
    Blue usually means low/suction side and red usually means high/liquid side. The high side should have a smaller diameter line heading to the evaporator and be warmer and the low side should be a larger diameter pipe returning and be cooler. The ports that you show are the service and charging ports, not the best place for transducers. Elsewhere should be ports where the existing high and low side pressure sensors are attached which usually have schrader valves allowing "hot swapping" of sensors. Always crack those slowly in case the schrader core is leaking, especially on the high side where a release can be catastrophic. If you do decide to attach to the service ports, be sure that you understand the fully back seated and not fully back seated positions before removing those caps because again, a mistake here can be dangerous. There are NO schraders on the normal service ports, so if you remove the caps with the wrong valve position you will be venting the system.

George
    Great info Reefgeorge, much appreciated. There are additional ports on top of the 3 of the newer units that look like a better option. After reading your post I may just get the AC guy back on board, I can’t get the adapters until Monday so I have some time to ponder it. Looks like a mistake is not necessarily a trivial thing... Thanks again...
    Jerry B.
    "Sea Joy"
    Hull #318
    1977 58MY (Galley Up)
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL

You are just asking for leaks of refrigerant by adding the sensors on this system. And if you are using r22, very expensive leaks.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

9. Re: AC Pressure Transducers to N2K?

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Yep. You could use http://www.yachtd.com/products/sensors.html the YDTC-13 for this and they are less than 100$ a pop. I just threw one in to monitor engine room temp and its working pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    You are just asking for leaks of refrigerant by adding the sensors on this system. And if you are using r22, very expensive leaks.
    After I read this link back in August, I was well, krushed. I had already bought 5 pressure transducers and the Maretron FPM100 module so I could monitor the AC pressure while we are underway. That is when I seem to have the most problems with getting the HP error and auto-shut down (not popular with the admiral or passengers). Anyway, I stuck it all in a box and stashed it down in the generator room, but keep thinking about the pros vs the cons.

krush - you raise such an interesting point about asking for leaks by adding sensors. At the same time, I've hacked into dozens of other lines and wires to install flow sensors, switch sensors, run sensors, timers, etc etc. So - I get the impression that refrigerant and these types of sensors add an addition level of leakage risk, is that right? Thanks, just want to confirm before I try to get rid of a few more things that I may have bought at retail and will sell at wholesale or less :-)
    Jerry B.
    "Sea Joy"
    Hull #318
    1977 58MY (Galley Up)
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL