Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

8--71 Turbo Replacements

I'm looking for Turbos for my 8-71s. I have seen 1700 for new ones and everything from 900 to 3000 for remans.

Any reccomendations? Mine have some end play and are letting oil into the intercooler. They haven't come apart so I guess they would be eligible as cores ( they seem to be about 700).8

Re: 8--71 Turbo Replacements

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Chad View Post
    I'm looking for Turbos for my 8-71s. I have seen 1700 for new ones and everything from 900 to 3000 for remans.

Any reccomendations? Mine have some end play and are letting oil into the intercooler. They haven't come apart so I guess they would be eligible as cores ( they seem to be about 700).8
    Take them to a turbo shop. If the housings are okay, they can put a cartridge in them. I had one rebuilt last winter for about $400.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Above advice is good. You also didn't say how much oil. As for the oil after the turbo, that is something normally seen because your engines are ingesting the crank case gases.

You also didn't say how much play.
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

One of the forum members (Avenger) rebuilds professionally if you have the time to send to NY...

DAN

Quote Originally Posted by drburke View Post
    One of the forum members (Avenger) rebuilds professionally if you have the time to send to NY...

DAN
    Avenger is the right person!

Thank you for the endorsements!

Capt Chad, if you have a part number off your turbos I may be able to give you some guidance.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

37294.jpg
    Avenger, here's the tag I pulled the easy off tonight. I've got oil in the intercooler and some wobble in the shaft.
    Attached Images

Sent you a PM
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375