Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

removing sliding windows in salon

I need to replace the wool pile and the plastic track in the salon windows. Does anyone know if the windows interior frame just screws on or is it also glued to the wood.

Re: removing sliding windows in salon

I have a 53 MY and my sliding window just lift out from the outside, very secure. There are many threads here about that subject, some guys have had to use a jack to lift up frame to get windows out, I did not. 48 MY might be different so I will let a 48 owner chime in.
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

+1 to what Scarlett said. My windows had an aluminum extrusion on one window. The extrusion was easily tapped off. I slid the window to the center, and used some glass suction handles I got at harbor freight. Lift the window up, and out from the bottom. I didn't have to jack anything up either.

Our windows are doing OK, but the extrusion that one uses to slide the window back and forth comes off too easily.

Any suggestions for how to attach it to the window so that it performs as it should and yet will be removable when the time comes to replace the glass?

Thanks!

Nick
    1984 53' Extended Deckhouse
    "Laissez Faire"
    Delivered 1-1-86 (per Sam's)
    Hull #CN737
    Sausalito, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Nick in Manitou View Post
    Our windows are doing OK, but the extrusion that one uses to slide the window back and forth comes off too easily.

Any suggestions for how to attach it to the window so that it performs as it should and yet will be removable when the time comes to replace the glass?

Thanks!

Nick
    I used mirror mastic on those.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Sky,

Would one be able to remove the extrusion from the glass when the time came to replace the glass if mirror mastic had been used to secure the extrusion to the glass? Is it something that one could cut with a razor?

Thanks!
    1984 53' Extended Deckhouse
    "Laissez Faire"
    Delivered 1-1-86 (per Sam's)
    Hull #CN737
    Sausalito, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Nick in Manitou View Post
    Sky,

Would one be able to remove the extrusion from the glass when the time came to replace the glass if mirror mastic had been used to secure the extrusion to the glass? Is it something that one could cut with a razor?

Thanks!
    I don't know. The glass is cheap and just about every glass shop carries it so I'm not concerned. I did my fuzzies probably 8 or 9 years ago and I had all new glass cut then. Now I have one of my galley windows that is starting to fog around the edges so I'll have to have a new piece of glass cut. I'll let you know how removing the pull strip goes when I get around to it.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

+2 with Scarlett. The forward (stationary glass) may have a wedge in the top extrusion that will need to be removed before centering and lifting out the glass. Chances are that the screws have become a permanent part of the boat - bring the wood chisel and Dremel grinder. Depending on how much salt has been married to the frame, you should plan on using various shaped pick tools (cheap from Harbor Freight) along with needle nose pliers to pull out the monkey fur.

BTW, Sam's sells the monkey fur and polypropylene slider stuff by the mile.
    Summer Star II
    1986 Christensen 70'
    Ensenada, MX