Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Deep cleaning afromosia paneling

Quote Originally Posted by BobWaz View Post
    The build sheet on my 1987 40 double cabin showed they used Watco Teak oil. I have treated with same and very happy with the results. If you are to varnish take this suggestion. A few gloss coats followed by 2 satin coats. The gloss will give it depth, the satin will take away glare and hide any imperfections. This is what Grand Banks does on their boats.
    Mine shows that Watco was on the rails. 704C on the interior.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Watco was also used on our exterior teak.

Some suggest that removing too much of the "sealer" is a bad idea. Won't argue that point but since we were interested in getting as much of the 40 year gunk off as possible, we did a deep cleaning with "Awesome" (Dollar Tree product), wiped the wood down with alcohol, then applied 5-6 coats of Formby's. Might not be the best approach for a purist, but it gave us beautiful results and it's very easy to maintain. We scuff the panels lightly with green Scotch pads every couple of years and apply another coat of Formby's.

Southern Comfort
    1977 Hatteras 58YF

4. Re: Deep cleaning afromosia paneling

Does anyone have tips on the best way to apply the DuPont 704 tung oil from Sams?. I experimented 2 ways; rubbing with a rag the other using a brush. Rubbing provides a flat finish, brushing has a gloss. How did the factory apply the oil?
    Attached Images

yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

Bill, I think you need to work on your technique. There seems to be a line where the finish seems a bit rough.

To the OP, while the above suggestions are good, if you are just trying to clean a brighten the wood, give Orange Glo wood cleaner a try.

Quote Originally Posted by yachtsmanbill View Post
    You hose it off or just let it dry?
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Let it burn until it stops smoking(!) then a few wet rinses with a bucket of fresh water and a sponge. I'd keep an old towel on the floor to catch the renderings. When I first bought the boat in NOLA, I tried bleach and even ran the gas pressure washer hose through a port light to no avail. I pressure washed the entire inside regardless and then went to the muriatic. ws
    Attached Images
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

New and improved on the ol' HOF! 3 pic posts per entry. Great. ws
    Attached Images
    yachtsmanWILLY