Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Deep cleaning afromosia paneling

I’ve cleaned a test panel with Murphy’s Oil Soap twice now and it still is not entirely clean yet. Are there any products or techniques that will help us wash away 30+ years of dirt and oils? I would like to be able to clean it all down to the DuPont sealer that was used back in ‘87 before deciding what to do next.

I am tempted to try Simple Green or a citrus type cleaner, but don’t want to do any damage by being hasty.

Re: Deep cleaning afromosia paneling

If it's an oil finish you can't take it to "clean" without removing the sealer.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Two words: Woody Wax
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

LOL, I was wondering if Woody Wax was an option. I have their boat soap, which I like very much and their metal cleaner/polish, which I haven’t used yet. Which Woody product and how is it used, if different from the directions?

I wouldn’t mind removing the sealer from the paneling, if that happens, as long as I can restore the finish with a rubbed on oil product. But only if absolutely necessary since there are other, higher priority projects on the list. I want to avoid sanding and brushing and we don’t want a gloss finish anyway, we just want to see what the wood looks like underneath it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Westfield 11 View Post
    LOL, I was wondering if Woody Wax was an option. I have their boat soap, which I like very much and their metal cleaner/polish, which I haven’t used yet. Which Woody product and how is it used, if different from the directions? I wouldn’t mind removing the sealer from the paneling, if that happens, as long as I can restore the finish with a rubbed on oil product. But only if absolutely necessary since there are other, higher priority projects on the list. I want to avoid sanding and brushing and we don’t want a gloss finish anyway, we just want to see what the wood looks like underneath it all.
    Woody Wax Non-Skid. You will like it on wood as well as metal and leather shoes.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

I’ve got wood. Lol. Best out there. Woody wax.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by Westfield 11 View Post
    I wouldn’t mind removing the sealer from the paneling, if that happens, as long as I can restore the finish with a rubbed on oil product. But only if absolutely necessary since there are other, higher priority projects on the list. I want to avoid sanding and brushing and we don’t want a gloss finish anyway, we just want to see what the wood looks like underneath it all.
    Removing the “sealer” is a really, really bad idea. The original DuPont “danish oil” type varnish finish was about two rubbed coats and penetrates very deeply into the veneer. [If you don’t know, that product is neither oil nor Danish.]

The PO of my boat hired a few guys to try to remove it chemically and by sanding, and all they accomplished was to trash the wood, which I have to now deal with.

My best approach is a wipe with alcohol (remove previous attempts to “oil” the varnish), wash with dish soap and water (remove surface dirt), wipe again with alcohol (remove oxidized varnish), final rinse with clean water (take off residue). Avoid using Scotchbrite-type scrubbers. It IS possible to damage the factory finish (becomes white) and does NOT take up varnish to re-darken.

I varnish with first coat wiped (50/50), subsequent coats brushed. If you want matte, final coat only (doing 5-7 myself) should have flattener since varnish is naturally glossy and flattening agent makes underneath coats not as transparent this blurs grain.

Lots of discussion on this forum in the past; start there. Forget any thoughts of “taking it down to bare wood” since penetrating stain/varnish goes very deep.

For those who are going to ignore me, at least learn your lesson on an inconspicuous spot and not the main salon walls like I have to repair!

DAN

Agree with you Dan but I’d like to suggest satin varnish if you are going to varnish. It looks rich and sexy. High gloss will show every imperfection in the varnish job. Good luck.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I guess I'm a purist. I like the OEM Dupont 704C. Reapply as necessary to keep it looking like new. Sams still has a few quarts left but they don't ship it. You have to pick it up in FTL.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

The build sheet on my 1987 40 double cabin showed they used Watco Teak oil. I have treated with same and very happy with the results. If you are to varnish take this suggestion. A few gloss coats followed by 2 satin coats. The gloss will give it depth, the satin will take away glare and hide any imperfections. This is what Grand Banks does on their boats.