Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Which one is the new strainer basket?

Dropped in a new Perko branded basket less than two weeks ago. While replacing the hose barbs on the strainer, I checked the basket and found this!

IMG_9440.jpgIMG_9442.jpg
    The new basket was the consistency of aluminum foil after two weeks. It was exposed to seawater and bromine tabs just like every other trainer basket on board. Every weld was gone and the basket material itself was melting away. Have never seen this before. It's on the way back.

The strainer on the left is maybe 8 years old and going strong.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Re: Which one is the new strainer basket?

Check for a broken bonding wire to that strainer, could be down the line not necessarily right at the strainer. Or it could just be Chinese metal.
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Makes for easy flow. 😂
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I have found all-plastic replacements for these metal basket strainers. Apparently Perko doesn't make them though. I'll keep looking to see if I can find a source. Mine have held up well for my AC strainer.
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlett View Post
    Check for a broken bonding wire to that strainer, could be down the line not necessarily right at the strainer. Or it could just be Chinese metal.
    No, that’s not the problem. Even if it were, two weeks? I don’t think so. Red Chinese metal at best.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by Fanfare View Post
    I have found all-plastic replacements for these metal basket strainers. Apparently Perko doesn't make them though. I'll keep looking to see if I can find a source. Mine have held up well for my AC strainer.
    I’ve got one plastic/nylon basket that I too am pleased with. Anyone have a source to share?
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Check our Ang’snew baskets for sale.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I bought some “Perko” slide in rod holders a few years ago that were Chinese . They even had the Perko stickers on them . Needless to say they were rusting in no time ....Pat

Quote Originally Posted by doc g View Post
    I bought some “Perko” slide in rod holders a few years ago that were Chinese . They even had the Perko stickers on them . Needless to say they were rusting in no time ....Pat
    That’s really sad.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Is that for your mains? It almost looks damaged like you got an oyster or something in it but that would still be in there