Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Which one is the new strainer basket?

nylon basket is the new goto. 306 stainless is not only harder to confirm, but now a tariffed item too...
    AL made structural steel is now 24% higher than it was.
    Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750

These baskets are available in stainless and monel from Depo, at least the last time I replaced one. Stainless is not a good choice for salt water. Monel is the go to choice in salt water.
    Pete
    1976 Hatteras 48 LRC
    Blue Chip

Quote Originally Posted by Briankinley2004 View Post
    Too large. I need the replacement for a #5 Perko. Any sources OR a cross to a Groco or aftermarket (non metallic) that might work would be appreciated. As to stainless in saltwater, there’s stainless and then theirs stainless. The old SS baskets have served me well.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

RAC, try calling Groco in Kent Island, MD, and ask for John- kind of the all around troubleshooter. If you are able to measure the good basket, they may be able to come up with one that is close enough in dimension to work. I believe they have plastic, SS and Monel baskets. Monel cost a lot, but they last longer than any of us will be around.

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    RAC, try calling Groco in Kent Island, MD, and ask for John- kind of the all around troubleshooter. If you are able to measure the good basket, they may be able to come up with one that is close enough in dimension to work. I believe they have plastic, SS and Monel baskets. Monel cost a lot, but they last longer than any of us will be around.
    Thanks, Jim
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

I spoke with Patrick at Groco today. I ordered a Groco BP-2 synthetic basket that fits their ARG-750 Series (3/4" in/out pipe). The Groco diameter is 1-7/8" versus 1-13/16" for the Perko #5. Patrick suggested opening up the Perko opening just a bit and the BP-2 should work fine; height is the same.

I'm been using a Groco synthetic basket in my 1" Perko A/C sea strainer, and it's tickety-boo. The Groco synthetic, being a higher flow rate than the SS basket, is probably not going hurt my genset's feelings either.

I know Patrick is biassed, but but even he was shocked at the rapid demise of my Perko basket. He figured it'd go at least 6 mos.--company man.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Were you able to check the bonding?

Quote Originally Posted by MadHatter53 View Post
    Were you able to check the bonding?
    The bonding is perfect. We’d have to be in some heavy discharge to eat a basket in 10 days.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

After similar time in use, older SS basket was pulled and found unchanged in condition thus eliminating bonding issues. New Perko basket was just junk. A new plastic high flow basket obtained from Groco was installed after very slight modification. Problem solved.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC