Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Hatteras Re-using 3 conductor Hardwired Cablemaster Cord as Manual Shore Power Cord

I wanted a longer glenndinning cable master cord and had the old one removed and replaced (the old one was still working fine). The old one is 74 feet long and I put a new Marinco 50A 220 V three pin + ground shroud connector on the former hard wired "boat" end. The cable seems to be working fine for the last 24 hours. Some more details and then my question:

The boat is a 1998 Hatteras Euro Sport Deck MY (50A 220V service on each side). Source 1 is for a manual deploy cord which I use at home port. Source 2 is a hardwired glenndining cable master cord which uses a 3 wire cord, not a 4 wire cord. The hardwired cord has one terminal in the connector (the straight one) which is not connected. The boat also has 30A 120V inputs for basic service which I have never used.

I assumed re-using the "old" hardwired 3 conductor cable and not connecting the straight terminal to a new four terminal connector would be ok. I wired the "Black" and "White" to the "hot legs"- the bent terminals and the "green" to the outside shroud "ground". This exactly matched the "Old" install for the dockside end of the cable and I verified connections using an Ohm meter. The old Glenndining cable (which is a Hubbell cord) had a red rubber warning label on it, that said. "Connect Black and White conductors to the two line terminals. WHITE IS NOT NEUTRAL in this configuration".

I plugged the cord into the manual deploy Source 1 and the power pedestal and everything seems to be working ok for the last 24 hours including running all 4 AC units in hot weather. The wife also did some laundry and used the dryer. The panels say I'm getting 220Volts on board.

The "store" bought manual cords have 4 conductors and this through me off for a while. Of course those work fine but I have to use two of them (100 ft). With the 74 ft cord I have 25ft less voltage drop issues. The Hatteras manual says that the boat is basically a three wire 220V system and uses isolation transformers to handle polarity.

Anything to be concerned about or something I didn't think about?

P.S. I put one hand in the water at the stern of the boat and didn't get shocked......

Thanks,
    Tony
    Regards,

Dr. T

Re: Hatteras Re-using 3 conductor Hardwired Cablemaster Cord as Manual Shore Power Co

You did it correctly. No neutral wire comes aboard. The isolation transformer makes its own neutral. You only need the two hots and the ground.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI