Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Preferred battery for inverter.

I have a mastervolt sine wave 12/1000. The current setup is running off my house bank, 2= 8ds. I would like to use separate bank just for inverter. Any thoughts on type and brand. I only use it to run fridge at night after generator shutdown and a few lights or tv. Also I just installed a new mastervolt 50 amp 3 bank charger. Is running charger to inverter battery the right way to set up. Looking for best battery setup to extent running time.
    Thank you

Re: Preferred battery for inverter.

Why have two deep cycle banks? Better to have one large bank. 6 volt golf cart batteries are the best bang for the buck.
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee

I prefer having a dedicated inverter bank for redundancy as this keeps the house bank for crtitical thIngs like bilge pumps and lights. Even if you manage the single bank, when the boat is unattended at the dock a power outage or tripped dock breaker woudl leave you with a dead house bank an no bilge pumps.

As to batteries, golf cart batteries are true deep cycle and work great for house and inverters. They are also much easier to handle and install than 4D or 8D

If your inverter has a charging mode i d use that to charge the inverter bank, usually inverters charge at a faster rate than chargers
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Inverter chargers are best for your application. Add in the shunt and monitor and you have a system that is managing the batteries.

LiFePO is the fastest charging and most efficient battery but they are more expensive. They are lighter, carry more usable energy and last longer ( 5000 cycles vs 3-500 for lead acid) .

If your looking to design it right a well done system will outperform the items you have listed. If your just looking for basics id still get the charger inverter and the best agm batteries you can find.

Golf cart batteries are for golf carts. Lifeline, Fullriver and others make better batteries.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Here's a 900 ah 720 usable system for universals input (90-265 volt 50/60 hz)

All the items are networked and act as a single unit.

It's ready to fire up and test then tie up all the wires and close it up.
    Attached Images
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Hey Scott, as I plan for an inverter with a dedicated battery bank in the hopefully not too distant future, is it still a must to have the inverter mounted in a separate compartment than the batteries? As I continue to remove unnecessary items & fix things on the boat I would like to start planning where future things will go.

I am a marine electrician and one thing I believe in is to not mount an inverter in an engine or generator room as heat is one of there worst enemy’s. The same with batteries if you can. Key to good inverter operation is to mount it as close as possible to the batteries being used. If the batteries must be in an engine room try to mount the inverter in a cabinet with good ventilation just above the batteries. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

I do many where the inverter and batteries are not in the er. Easier to plan and service.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

For my inverter bank I use the following batteries.

Four 6V Trojan L16H-AC batteries @ 435 ah each @ 20ah rate
    TOTAL BANK = 870 AMPHOURS @ 20 HR Rate

These are "floor sweeper" batteries. Same footprint a golf cart batteries but much taller and with much more capacity for a small footprint.

That gets about 400 ah usable if my math is correct. That's not a lot.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.