Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

No breaker on generator?

The original Ohno on my boat was replaced by the previous owner but they re used the old untinned wiring which I am replacing. As I am connecting the new AC power wires I just realized there was no AC output circuit breaker on the generator leaving the AC power wires un protected all the way to the panel.

Shouldn’t that be an ABYC requirement ? Boat has passed survey a couple of times

Or will the marathon electric voltage regulator sense an over current and shut down exitation in case of a major short on the output wires? It does have a fuse on the board
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Re: No breaker on generator?

My 1983 61cmy has dual pole breakers within three feet from generators as part of original Hatteras instal.
    Ray

1983 61CY 319

AnnaVal
    Jacksonville FL.

Don't know about ABYC standards but pretty sure there are NEC guidelines for maximum distance required for disconnects or breakers on generators.

On mine, the double pole breaker is two feet from the generator. I like that arrangement as I can take the unit "offline" while it's running by simply reaching over and throwing the breaker while I'm in the generator room for troubleshooting or service work.
    Brian L

IMPETUOUS - 1984 Hatteras 53 ED MY Hull #CN720
    GOD'S GIFT - 1972 Chris Craft 42 Ft. Commander
    QUEEN B - 1974 Century 24 Ft Buccaneer
    GOD'S LITTLE GIFT - 1962 Johnson 19 Ft. Runabout
    MON AMI - 1984 Catalina 30Ft. Sloop

on every other generator I used the dual breaker was on the unit itself, usually on the enclosure. I have a feeling who ever installed the genset took out the old one and didn’t bother putting a new one.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat